All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New Samurai, want a softer ride

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Samurai modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 23:41    Post subject: New Samurai, want a softer ride Reply with quote

I just bought an '88 Samurai in great shape.  It is all stock.  I am completely new to these vehicles, and to 4x4s in general.  This Samurai is to be my daily driver shortly.  I would like to run 30 or 31 inch tires eventually.  I like the idea of an SPOA (I know doing it properly involves a lot of work), but I actually dont think I need 5" of lift to clear 31s (please correct me if Im wrong).  Also, would an SPOA do anything as far as softening the ride?  Could I do something crazy like run an inverted leaf to soften up the ride and lessen the lift from the SPOA?

If an SPOA isnt the best option for a softer ride, what would you all suggest?  I would like a solution that does not negatively affect my approach and departure angles.  Also, I do not plan on doing all the work myself.  There is a shop near me that is very comfortable performing all of these mods on Samurais.

Thanks for any help

-Chris P
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 23:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

popuptoaster

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a softer ride sell it and buy a Vitara, cant believe you bought an SJ thinking it would be comfy?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont need comfort, just a less stiff suspension.
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Ive come to the conclusion that I basically have 2 different choices of leaf springs.  Either the YJ conversion, or OME 1.5" lift springs.  Any opinions on the OMEs? That would definitely be an easier option.  Also, I am curious to know what shock absorbers would be a good idea.

Still curious if an SPOA would help.  I suppose Ive given up the idea of maintaining approach angles.
zocko

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, the stiffness youre talking about is all down to the springs so no an spoa wont help.

as for 33", good luck

31" is the limit without major work including replacement axles etc so dont try it if you dont know what youre doing, it could you a lot more than you bargained for.

as for softening the springs, leaf springs are leaf springs so unless you go coil spring conversion (potentially risky) iutll never be any softer

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
as for 33", good luck

Actually Im only aiming for 30 or 31".

I think my best bet might be YJ springs.  I guess they provide about a 3" lift, so that should be enough for 31s?

Thanks

-Chris
ASI H8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a 3.5" S/R kit on mine now.  I love the ride on the highway.  Off road is provides good flex.  I'm rolling on 30"x9.5" tires on 15"x8" rims with about a 3.5" to 3.75" offset.  I will say in extreme flex the tires rub on the front bumper and also on rear of front wheel well.
DoWork!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently running SPOA with Samurai rear springs up front and YJ's in the rear with 31" tires.  Rides nice and flexes good.
anderson89

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just brought a Suzuki Samurai in mint condition and I am going to start working on it soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Samurai modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: