4x4 Mart magazine discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Overheating Vitara

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Vitara cooling & heating Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 21:38    Post subject: Overheating Vitara Reply with quote

Hi there everyone, was hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on my Vitara that is overheating. The vehicle is a 93 with the fuel injection and I have not long had it so dont really know the history. It was bought soley for off roading and is taken to and from events on a trailer. On its first outing the engine overheated very quickly (within 10/15mins of driving) and the radiator was boiling itself dry. After waiting 20 mins or so for it to cool down and re filling the rad we triued again with the same results. I cant see any water leaking fromm the pipes/rad but it is hard to tell with all the mud!!

On returning I took off the thermostat and tested it and it wasnt opening up so i took the valve mechanism out and refitted it open so the water would be constant flow. I have also flushed through the rad and re filled with coolant etc. On testing at home the engine ran at tick over with some revving for an hour with no overheating problems, though this weekend we took her out again and although the overheating took longer (30/40 mins) it was still getting hot. Now I know whilst off roading the car is not travelling at any speed and so isnt getting any air flow but I was hoping that the constant turn fan should have been solving the problem.

I was wondering where alse I should start looking, should I try a new rad or water pump??

Many thanks for any help/advice offered

Dan
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 21:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv just got a vit from a mate which was doing simular, turns out the head gasket had gone and on closer inspection the head is cracked too Mad  check the colour of the oil, if its milky its the head gasket.
flyby

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Mat, have checked the oil and underside of filler cap and all seems fine on that front (thankfully!!) so will continue to investigate!!

Dan
White-Sam_man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not head gasget it'll be thermastat or radiator! check the hoses arent split and if it is the thermostat you can locate it if you follow the top hose that comes off the radiator back to the engine, it comes to a bobbly type bit with 2 either 10mm or 12mm bolts undo the and there you have thermostat Smile
Dav

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the outside of the rad clean and fins all intact ?
If its muddy take it off and shower/soak it gently (NOT JETWASH  as this will damage the fins)
Remove the thermostat altogether (you'll get a better water flow and know it's not closing)
me and the wife

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a simmilar problem and it turned out to be mud blocking the fins. take the rad out and give it a good wash  Very Happy
White-Sam_man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dav wrote:
Is the outside of the rad clean and fins all intact ?
If its muddy take it off and shower/soak it gently (NOT JETWASH  as this will damage the fins)
Remove the thermostat altogether (you'll get a better water flow and know it's not closing)

Dose it run better without thermostat??
Dav

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about "better" but it should run cooler.Takes a while to get the heater going in winter though  Sad
dirtyjoints

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it will run cooler, the only problem with that is that if its the injection type, the ECU will run in a loop, re, it will use loads of fuel because its reading cold all the time if you get my drift. But then again you rich guys can afford the fuel if are going to use it for off rads (joke)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Vitara cooling & heating Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: