4x4 Mart magazine discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Had a good day until the engine gave up :-(

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideal_dog

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 22:59    Post subject: Had a good day until the engine gave up :-( Reply with quote

I was going to fit a snorkel on my SJ all week but have been really ill so I didn't get around to it.
Today I really felt like going for a drive so went for a spin down some greenlanes.
All was going well until I went through a deep ford a bit too fast. I managed to suck a fair amount of water into the engine which caused a sudden halt to things  Shocked
Turns out I was lucky enough to only bend some valves and not the conrods, but either way I needed help from the Landy boys  Crying or Very sad
It might be alright after taking the head off and having a look, but will probably start looking for a Vitara engine.

----------------------------------------------------------
My neighbors don't like my mud splattered Suzuki. Do I look bothered?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 22:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

zocko

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanna buy a sj engine?

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
stevepeanut

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats bad luck, hope you get it sorted soon
ideal_dog

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

zocko wrote:
wanna buy a sj engine?

Cheers Paul, but to honest if I got to take the engine out, I would want to replace it with a Vit engine.
The original Sammy engine might be ok with some new valves for now if I can't find a Vitara engine, but I've seen a couple of eBay which I'm considering.

ideal_dog

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevepeanut wrote:
thats bad luck, hope you get it sorted soon

Thanks, it was my own fault though mate, I know better than to go steaming through deep water, especially without a snorkel. I was just showing off  Rolling Eyes
I will get it sorted soon, I love the car and off roading, so it's up on list of things to do as a priority.

e_soak

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd be gutted myself. hope ya get it sorted soon without havein to part with too many beer tokens.
          phil.
ideal_dog

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

e_soak wrote:
i'd be gutted myself. hope ya get it sorted soon without havein to part with too many beer tokens.
          phil.

Yeah I am gutted mate, it's a nightmare.
I'm gonna strip it and see what's happened tomorrow. I'm starting to think it might be a big end bearing, judging by where the noise is coming from, so I'm gonna have the sump off and check that first.

RickyD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you bad luck mate, but in one way your lucky you know what your doing. I know sweet FA about engines which is why im looking at a heafty bill to get mine thorugh its mot. Think the bill will cost more than the jeep is worth lol but i need it perfect for my drive in september
me and the wife

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

just remember if you do a 1.6 conversion you will either have to do a spoa or sump mod Very Happy
ideal_dog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickyD wrote:
Sorry to hear you bad luck mate, but in one way your lucky you know what your doing. I know sweet FA about engines which is why im looking at a heafty bill to get mine thorugh its mot. Think the bill will cost more than the jeep is worth lol but i need it perfect for my drive in september

Ricky what is actually wrong with yours? I know it failed it's MOT but was that on engine problems or something else?

ideal_dog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

me and the wife wrote:
just remember if you do a 1.6 conversion you will either have to do a spoa or sump mod Very Happy

What do I need to do to the sump? Does the SJ sump not fit??

It turns out my engine is worse than I hoped.
I've bent the conrods in cylinders 1 & 4, destroyed the bigend bearings and I think the crank is also damaged, but I can't tell for sure at the moment.
I gave up looking at that point, but there is also knocking from the top end of the engine, so probably damaged the valves and guides too.

Looks like I will be doing the 8v Vit conversion as soon as I've got the money to buy one. I'm looking for a an old MOT failure or damaged Vitara that I can rob all the bits I need from.

It was a sad moment when I realised just how much of a nob I've been driving through that deep water  Crying or Very sad

e_soak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's bad news mate. time to stop looking if it's that bad at the botom end. know how ya feel when it's yer own fault. i had the same feeeling when i realized i'd bent all 8 valves on me xs1100 trike. hope ya get hold of a vit lump soon, and cheap.
    phil.
RickyD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs new front brakes and discs, rear fog light, front selt belt, Thats the main mot stuff. Tehn his looking at things for my charity drive. The back sump is leaking, the diff lock is leaking. It needs a new exchust. COuple of seals in diffrent places, new clutch and there is a hole in my foot well. and im sure the list goes on Sad
me and the wife

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickyD wrote:
It needs new front brakes and discs, rear fog light, front selt belt, Thats the main mot stuff. Tehn his looking at things for my charity drive. The back sump is leaking, the diff lock is leaking. It needs a new exchust. COuple of seals in diffrent places, new clutch and there is a hole in my foot well. and im sure the list goes on Sad

at least its well polished Very Happy
me and the wife

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideal_dog wrote:
me and the wife wrote:

What do I need to do to the sump? Does the SJ sump not fit??

It turns out my engine is worse than I hoped.
I've bent the conrods in cylinders 1 & 4, destroyed the bigend bearings and I think the crank is also damaged, but I can't tell for sure at the moment.
I gave up looking at that point, but there is also knocking from the top end of the engine, so probably damaged the valves and guides too.

Looks like I will be doing the 8v Vit conversion as soon as I've got the money to buy one. I'm looking for a an old MOT failure or damaged Vitara that I can rob all the bits I need from.

It was a sad moment when I realised just how much of a nob I've been driving through that deep water  Crying or Very sad

the oil pick up pipe is longer on the vitara so the sump is taller than an sj, so you remove the vit sump remove the pickup pipe chop the end off ofd weld the sj end on then fit the sj sump. kind of that easy Very Happy or spoa and it clears as standard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: