4x4 Mart magazine discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Suzuki Vitara Timing Belt Query

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocket

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 22:45    Post subject: Suzuki Vitara Timing Belt Query Reply with quote

I have a suspected timing belt failure on my 1999 Vitara 4u2, although I have not had chance to strip the covers off and find out exactly what has gone wrong.  The belt failed at about 10MPH while coming to a stop.  I have two questions:

1.  How likely is it that severe engine damage (i.e. valves etc) would have been caused by this failure?

2.  Does anyone know if the timing belt powers/drives the water or oil pumps on the vitara?  

This is to decide what my next course of action will be.  Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 22:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

hawkeye3guns

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.  I have just had to strip my sons 1998 1.6 16v G16B engine  the engine is definitely an interference engine ie. the valves will hit the pistons if the cam belt fails resulting in possible piston crown damage, bent valve stems and possibly cracked valve guides.  It does not matter what the speed was as just a light bang can bend the valve stems sufficient to stop the valve sealing and loss of compression.  You are proberly looking at :-
Best case.  Cylinder head rebuild with new valves and gaskets and possibly light damage to the piston tops which can be lightly polished out.
Worst case,  Full head rebuild with new valves , valve guides and gaskets.  Also new pistons due to crown being cracked or holed.
The Timing belt only drives the camshaft all the other items are driven by separate belts.
Sorry for the bad news!  but having worked on old cars and engines for the last 30 years I can speak from experience.  The thing to remember is there are two types of engines
Non Interference ( does not matter if the cam belt breaks because the piston stroke does not come high enough for the pistons to hit the valves or the head space is that great)
                          these are mainly the older engines.
Interference       ( the piston stroke and the head space is that small that a cam belt breaking or even being out of timing by as little as two teeth can cause the pistons to hit the
                          valves with the consequent damage caused to the engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: