4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Strange Smell.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiaroni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 19:47    Post subject: Strange Smell. Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I have had my Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 Sport for just over 4 weeks, and I am enjoying the car very much.
However I have a had a couple of issues.
Firstly it would stall when at idle once it warmed up, I managed to fix this by cleaning out the throttle body and breather pipes with carb cleaner. Problem has not re-occured so thats looking good.
However the second issue is what this message is about. Once the car has been driving for say at least 20mins at various speeds, when you get out the car you can smell a faint wiff of burning, from under the passenger rear wheel arch. Done a little bit investigation as follows:

1. Once the car has stopped (engine off) for about 1-2 mins the smell is gone.
2. After a short 4-5 minute journey there is no smell.
3. First I thought possible rear brake binding, but I touched the tyre,wheel,brake drum and hub and none of these feel particulary hot. The back wheel also moves freely.
4. I got underneath the car and touched the transmission parts (half-shafts, bell housing) but none of these where warm at all.
5. There are no unusual noises then the car is driving.

The only thing that is hot naturally the exhaust. Near the tailpipe there appears to be a small muffler of sound kind and it looks to have a small heatshield on it. I rubbed away some of the muck and grit off this bit and a little smoke come off it - but without sounding silly I am not sure this is the smell.

I would really appreciate to hear from anybody who has any ideas or has encountered this themselves,
Thanks Matt
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 19:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: