All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Vitara starting issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 20:55    Post subject: Vitara starting issues Reply with quote

Hey Guys how you doing haven't been on for a while  Confused

My x reg 1.6 8v Vitara, is having a few issues starting it was showing all the classic signs of needing a new battery, it wouldn't hold charge for too long and then wouldn't start on the key I could hear a faint whine from the starter so a bump round the corner she fired or a jump start and she fired.

So tonight a new battery arrived, put it on and same again faint whine no start, so bumped it round the corner and went for short spin lights on but nothing else brought it back and it fired up six times on the key happy daze  Cool

Any way just been out again and she wouldn't fire same again faint whine from the starter so bumped it drove round the block and its working on the key again. tried switching everything on heated rear screen ,lights on main beam , radio, heater blower ect  she fired up with all this running then let the starter fire the car up in gear it dragged it along a couple of feet and fired up.

Just tried it again and no fire just the whine from the starter, I did drive through a lot of Cumbrian flooding so am now thing, the starter needs to come off be cleaned up, oiled /greased,  contacts cleaned connections checked, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Just been out 10 mins later and she fired up on the key???
Any ideas chaps as its doing my head in  Mad

Cheers,

Gav.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 20:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

deathbus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

vit/sj starters are prone to sticking i hear, mines does it intermitantly  Mad

id say strip it an clean/re-grease an fire it back together.

ive a spare one i keep meaning to get round to overhaulin, never seem to get round to it tho  Embarassed
Rick-81

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just changed mind it was doing the same but when hot not from cold happy to say the new/second hand one is fine so solved it for me!

Hope ya get it sorted mate!  Razz
Retro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers lads, she's been starting on the key all day today, I am starting to think the old battery was goosed and the new one was not fully charged up it's not like the "Spanish build" vit battery is going to be that popular  Rolling Eyes  so could have been sat around a for a while, did clean all the starter contacts up but it was to cold to be scratting around taking it off, so drowned the whole engine bay in WD and went for a drive to the top of Kirkby Fell in south Cumbria not a soul around and mine were the only tyre tracks in the two foot of snow up there  Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: