2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Bad shudder part II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toothbrush

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 17:44    Post subject: Bad shudder part II Reply with quote

Hi all,

Maybe you remember, a while ago I posted about a bad shudder ('84 SJ410), around 40-50 kmh, which decreases again when you pull through, as it were. Well, thinking it was the transfer case (because relatively independent of gear) I replaced that (don't worry, had a spare lying around), but the problem didn't change at all. This made me think it was the gearbox, but a gearbox mechanic I went to was 99% sure the shudder was too "metallic" to be the gearbox. Well, I did some experiments on my own, and the symptoms were such:

- With the transfer case in neutral and the car standing still, you can engage the normal gearbox. When doing this, the vibration (which sounds exactly like a mild version of the one at 40-50) can clearly be heard, getting worse through the gears, being the worst in 5. This seems to me a worn U joint maybe on the prop from gearbox to Tcase?
- I crawled under the car while this vibration could be heard, and it sounded like it was coming equally clearly from the gearbox & Tcase. Weird??

How do you diagnose U joint hassles? When stationary I can't really feel play, and I'm not sure what I'm looking for. My dad thought maybe the chain in the transfer case was loose, and rattling against the housing...

What now? I really don't know where to start troubleshooting, and my tools are limited. Any suggestions? Hopefully someone has had & solved this problem Razz, though having looked at the rest of this subforum I don't see anything that sounds like my problem.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 17:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

zocko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried greasing the g/box propshaft?

look on it to see if theres a grease point on the uj and see if it needs greasing?

it might be your problem but without seeing it, its difficult to say
RSi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried removing the prop yet and driving without it.
toothbrush

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

About greasing the prop: good point, I'll check. Can't believe that'll relieve such a harsh shudder though, but I haven't tried yet, so can't complain to start with Smile

About removing props: well, in t-case neutral, the front and rear props aren't moving (stating the obvious, sorry). So yes, I guess I could try removing the gearbox-tcase prop, could see what it does then... Aside from that though, I have freewheeling hubs, so it's not the front prop, and I have tried driving without the rear prop (in front-wheel drive indeed). That still shuddered the same way.

My money is on the U joints being shot indeed. Apart from taking the part to a garage, how can one ascertain whether a Ujoint is gone or not? Might try removing the mid shaft if no one says that's a very bad idea (can't really imagine why if the engine isn't revved much - right?)...
zocko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you run it in gear with no t/fer prop in place, youll throw your gear oil out of the g/box and prob fry it.

do you have any play in any of the ujs?
toothbrush

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just as well I didn't try then, couldn't get at it without removing the transfer case, and didn't have time or space for that... Felt the U joints though, and to my feeling there was pretty much no play... Not an expert here, but a shudder that bad one would think you should feel play in the U joints. Now I'm really puzzled, and I'm reluctant to go to a garage as I'm not sure how competent/interested they'd be, plus there's the cash issue (or lack of it Razz).

More info though: turns out there's a 1.3L block (probably from SJ413) in there, looked up the serial number, as I noticed the gearbox mountings had been (unprofessionally) moved backward. Could the shorter driveshaft from gearbox to T case cause such a shudder? (as a result of imbalance probably)
zocko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a word yes.

can you see why the gearbox has been moved backward at all?
toothbrush

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only guess about reasons for moving the gearbox, I suppose because the 1.3 is longer... The engine mounts seem original.

How would one then solve the issue, assuming it's prop imbalance? Would a 'normal' garage be able to balance shafts? I'm going to a garage for an opinion on Monday anyway, so we'll see.  Thanks for the insights! Hope it's fixable! :-/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: