All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Vitara lift kits!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Projects & Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l80vel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 15:17    Post subject: Vitara lift kits!! Reply with quote

Hi all,

New to this - I have a cheap vitara for some green lane action. Been out and had a lot of fun. Need to get it lifted as im really battering the bottom.

Im look for advice and a cheap kit, second hand is fine, 3" lift would be great!!

Also lookin for some steal wheels and crazy tyres, have alloys with alter tyres on. Can swop or sell as required.

Cheers

Lovell
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 15:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

me and the wife

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to a scrap yard and try to get some springs off a lwb vitara as that will give 1.5- 2" of lift  Very Happy
Tempman_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good idea, springs on the front or just the back? will the lwb vitara springs fit on my 1996 jlx? cheers
Tempman_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good idea, springs on the front or just the back? will the lwb vitara springs fit on my 1996 jlx? cheers
b4mb4m100

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just done a 3inch body lift on mine and used 2inch box section steel with threaded bar .. the body lift is really easy to do if you can use a 2 poster lift ... and if you are doing green laning and they are rough then my advice is to get some 235 75 15 inch insa turbo special tracks thats what i run on and they are mint tires they make alot of road noise but when you take them off road there just in a different league to every thing else  Very Happy
stt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercedes 190d front springs on the front with 1 coil cut off give about 2" lift

Rover 800 rear springs give 2.5" lift on the rear
zocko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

cutting springs is not the right way to go

im sure someone will say "i do it all the time and its fine" etc but that just means theyve been lucky.

springs have x amount of coils for a reason.....

use a spring thats suitable when complete, its not worth bodging it.

remember, your life depends on thos springs when youre driving

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
stt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as you are cutting normal springs ie not pigtail springs theres no safety concern with cutting springs - other than cutting too many coils and the car hitting its bump stops - not a likely scenario when the point of fitting the springs is to raise the vehicle

i dont have enough posts to be able to post links but if you change the start of the following web link you'll see a thread on the theory and why there is no safety implications if done properly

www*migweb*co*uk/forums/other-mechanical-electrical/386266-question-about-suspension-springs.html
zocko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with cutting springs is that you wont get them exactly the same length and torsion as youre not able to calculate the torsional strength of the springs over their length.

this will create two problems:

1, the springs may be slightly different lengths and strengths. this can cause uneven ride height over the pair causing more problems namely the change in the performance of the individual springs.

2, you risk MOT failure as the MOT testers opinion of whats safe is what counts there

ive seen the results of a couple of accidents directly attributed to unsafely lowered vehicles created by cutting springs.

just remember this:

the spring manufacturer doesnt just take a tape measure and look at a spring then go hel for leather with a disc cutter to get it about right.

the springs are measured to within a millimeter while straight, theyre then coiled and tempered to strict safety guidelines before being tested and deemed safe.

if they werent done this way, any muppet in a garden shed could make and sell lowering kts etc claiming theyre safe to use on the road.

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
Tempman_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

b4mb4m100 wrote:
i have just done a 3inch body lift on mine and used 2inch box section steel with threaded bar .. the body lift is really easy to do if you can use a 2 poster lift ... and if you are doing green laning and they are rough then my advice is to get some 235 75 15 inch insa turbo special tracks thats what i run on and they are mint tires they make alot of road noise but when you take them off road there just in a different league to every thing else  Very Happy

Sounds good mate! I've seen those insa turbo tyres an they are big boy stuff.

I'm interested in lifting mine, is this something that need to be done before buying a winch bumper? Im not a mechanic and wanted to know how hard the job in I've got some axel stands only used them to change wheels and paint calipers on my old type r. Any advice would be very help full.

Cheer Tom
stt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could argue that raising a vehicles ride height is detrimental to its handling characteristics and therefore it's suitability and safety for road use
I would say that most competent people would be able to cut the coils to nearly similar lengths
Do you think that the weight distribution is 50/50 left right - so one side will settle more than the other causing uneven ride height regardless of the sort of springs you have!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Projects & Builds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: