4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

1989 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 Lifted Engine Problems????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Samurai Engine Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miguele26

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:02    Post subject: 1989 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 Lifted Engine Problems???? Reply with quote

Recently got eyes on a 1989 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 and the previous owner told me while they drived it before it broke down it started to puff some white smoke and completly died.  They got it towed to the autorepair shop and when they tried to restart the truck there it made a squeeling noise.  The autoshop wanted $150 bucks to tear it down thinking it was headgasket.  Well I went over to look at it and found that the oil was intact and no water/antifreeze mixing with oil.  Oil may have been a little low but didn't have time to really look it over.   From what I seen they removed the valve cover and slightly the timing belt cover to start their diagonistic and from what I can see there is no water mixing with oil either.  The valves were possibly a slight bit sludge but not bad.  Could anyone suggest what maybe would have caused it to smoke some white smoke then die out.  And when they restarted it it would squeal?  I'm planning to get this rig from these people as they want to junk it but the body is completly solid with a life in it and some swampers on it.  More money invested in those upgrades to just junk it.  If needed I could rebuild the motor but was wondering if anyone here had suggestions to look for clues.  Once I get the rig to my house and start to look it over more closely it may be hard to tell.  I really hate to see this thing get junked as I live now in Italy, and would like to take it back to stateside to play with and restore possibly.  Any ideas?  If you need more information let me know see if I can give you more clues.  Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

zocko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say squealing, does it sound like a metallic squeal or a belt?

if its metallic, it could be rings but youll need to run a compression test to find that out. it could also be oil pump failure but again, youll need to test the engine.

let us know how you get on and what else you need to kow and maybe we can help?

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
miguele26

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:53    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Okay well thats two good thoughts, I will defiantly look into that issue, I will need to get the rig from shop first and then have them put it back together and try to turn it over myself to hear it.  Also I will get a compression test done on it and post the results soon.  Might take me sometime as I do not have the tool and I live outside US so I will need to get the tool ordered or find one here.  I have good supply of tools with me but nothing to specific as all my stuff still back in brothers garage back in NEW YORK.  Keep you all posted any more thoughts would be great thanks.  Also I wanted to know can this rig come to US?  Any way to deterine if it is US specs or if not at least able to be shipped back?
deathbus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

the samurai heads have really bad camshaft oil seals. if the oil was sludgey the oil flow to the head could very easily have been insufficient resulting in a seized camshaft.  Sad

im fairly sure the car will be able to be imported into the u.s. unless smog patrol say no
miguele26

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay with what you say what kind of work would I be looking at?  Possibly a complete overhaul of motor new pistons, rings, gaskets, valve seals and stems replaced, all seals, Head replaced if warped but would expect that only if it over heated?  What else or would I not have to go that far.  I understand might take sometime to replace but I can order a complete engine rebuild kit for 236.00 on ebay so that is not bad and it comes with everything new water pump, oil pump, all gaskets, pistons, rings, etc.... I checked the oil it seemed good today I was noteing the oil build up deposits on valves but not that the oil was sludgy sorry for my miss words.
zocko

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

if youre gonna do it properly, a full overhsul would basically give you a new engine so it depends on how much work you want to do.

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
miguele26

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went back to truck today to look things over apears to have a VIN of spanish made vehicle.  The tag said Land Rover Santana Suzuki.   So is this fully interchangable to the American Suzuki Samurai?  The Rig says Samurai all over it but apparently with some research on Land Rover Santana Suzuki worked out a deal with Land Rover back in those days with Spain company to create a Rig with their name or something like that.  Anyways not sure if parts are interchangable and if so should not be a issue.  But no I need to find out if I can even bring it back to USA because if not I'm not going to waste my time fixing it up and turn around leaving it behind and trying to sell to someone to get my money back out of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Samurai Engine Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: