2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Vitara v Jimney

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 18:01    Post subject: Vitara v Jimney Reply with quote

I keep thinking about selling my 00 plate 1.6 8v Vit and getting a  Jimney for when I have to travel the length of the country for canoeing, recently I was at the top of Scotland and had to take my wifes modern Corsa (fuel and speed where the consideration) all the days I was off in the wild Ray Mears style I was worried that someone might nick the car and you just cant' sling the gear in it like you can with the vit with no back seats in.

So is a Jimney better suited

Side by side theres not much in it size wise?
There 1.3 16v??? Is this better on fuel than the vit?
Off road are they any good?
Do they all have a manual transfer box or have some got a new fangled electric system? (not keen on the latter)
Happily maintain a motorway cruising speed?

Or should I stick with the Vit its in good nick, I like it for pottering round the lakes, really good off road and from my home in Cumbria I have got it as far as North Wales and to the lowlands of Scotland on one £30 tank of fuel with two canoes trying to hold it back on the roof, but that as far as you would really want to drive it without being crippled and knackered. Embarassed
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 18:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

oaks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jimny has a "modern" engine and it has 16v, so it will be better on fuel, it´s around 39mpg. It has an option of automatic  gearbox and it´s max speed is 87mph so i think it's acceptable for motorways travels.
I don´t know anything else of this car.
Anyway, the vitara is still a good car and you have yours very tidy.
DaiRees

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimny's are pretty good off road. The early ones had a proper transfer lever, the later ones have buttons on the dash (I'm with you on that, much rather a mechanical linkage that goes "clunk" and then you drive off, what good is pushing a button and having a little light come on, how's that going to help???!! Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Laughing  Laughing )

Unfortunately I have no idea what they're like for the long road cruise, can't imagine it being that much better than a vit to be honest....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a nice looking Vit there mate I'd stick with it
Also where the hell are you gonna find a Jimny with 2 canoes on the roof ?????
Retro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dav wrote:

Also where the hell are you gonna find a Jimny with 2 canoes on the roof ?????

Now that's a good point, Very Happy  the canoes are worth more than the car  Shocked
Retro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DaiRees"]Jimny's are pretty good off road. The early ones had a proper transfer lever, the later ones have buttons on the dash (I'm with you on that, much rather a mechanical linkage that goes "clunk" and then you drive off, what good is pushing a button and having a little light come on, how's that going to help???!! Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Laughing  Laughing )

Just had a look at a 52 plate down my local beach, the owner was impressed when he saw me driving up a shale bank he had no idea that these little vehicles "could do proper off roading" as he put it.
Back to the  Jimny or however you spell it  help  
His featured a proper transfer leaver not a silly button do the modern ones have low range? Size wise when parked up there was very little in it, I liked the storage bins in the rear  they would be very useful in one with no back seats. It appeared not to have as much ground clearance as my vit.
So all in all I don't think there's much in it and you guys comments, make me think the vits still the better choice for me.
Cheers Guys  Cool

No of to ebay to find some rear Jimny storage bins to graft into mine  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: