2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Transfer Box & MOT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaiRees

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:24    Post subject: Transfer Box & MOT? Reply with quote

Dunno what to do about this....

My Sammy's booked in for an MOT today (it's only done about 150 miles since the last one Embarassed  Embarassed )

Anyway I did a bit of work on it yesterday and noticed that both the rear wheel bearings are knackered, that's OK, they're just a bit noisy.... Embarassed Rolling Eyes then I took it for a run and there's a horrible clunking coming from the transmission when you come on and off the power, I think the transfer box has had it!! Crying or Very sad I'm not sure if either of these things will make it fail the MOT??

Thing is I never use it anymore, so really can't be *beep* to spend lots of time and money fixing it, but I've done so much work to it over the years that there's no way I'm gonna scrap it, and I wouldn't really want to sell it without an MOT, so I'm a bit stuck...

So should I take it in for the MOT and see what it fails on, or should I cancel the MOT, SORN the zook and leave it parked in my garage and await inspiration??

Anyone got a sammy transfer box they don't need??? Wink  Wink
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

deathbus

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as its not loose or hangin off i think itl be fine for mot

can only try it i suppose Wink
DaiRees

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I'm coming round to your way of thinking....

Guess we'll see what the man says at 11:30 Confused  Shocked

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they do a free retest?

think i saw one for sale, better not say where tho, might get in trouble Laughing
DaiRees

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno actually, my usual tester would be sensible about things, but he's on the sick with the big C at the moment Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad (get well soon Phil Wink ), so this other guy is a bit of an unknown quantity. Confused

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh *beep*, the tester had been called away urgently as his Mrs is unwell, so I've had to leave it there, that's exactly what I didn't want to do!! Sad

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right it failed (no surprises there then... Laughing ) on....

Excessive play in the OSF swivel.
Emissions
Handbrake

The handbrake's down to the brand new shoes I put in there yesterday, bed them in a bit and tighten it up, job's a good 'un.
Emissions, it's running a bit rough, clean the plugs and get it running nice before it goes back, I'm sure it'll be OK then.
Swivel, no idea, anybody done one? Is it a big job?  Embarassed  Embarassed  Confused

Don't suppose anyone's seen my Haynes book of lies anywhere?  Embarassed  Laughing

Also got an advisory for a knackered UJ on the prop shaft between the gear box and the transfer box.... maybe the transfer box isn't on it's way out after all??? Confused  Confused

Oh yeah free re-test within 10 working days Cool just gotta fix it before then Rolling Eyes

Not unexpected but I'm still gutted, that's the first MOT I've ever, ever failed! Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

not too bad tho!

youl get that done in ten days eh? Rolling Eyes
DaiRees

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaaanyhow......

Turns out SJ's don't have swivels, it's kingpins. Rolling Eyes

I changed the kingpin bearings both sides with the help of my mate "G" who charged me the princely sum of "8 cans of bow". I actually gave him 15 cans of bow, a tenner for petrol (he lives 40 miles away) and an extra large doner kebab, still very cheap for 4 hours work!! Laughing  Laughing

To try to cure the emissions I changed the plugs, air filter, distributor cap and rotor arm. It's certainly running a bit nicer now although it still smokes quite a bit on overrun, needs a head rebuild methinks.

I took the rear drums back off and stared at the brand new brake shoes for a bit, convinced myself one of the cylinders was leaking (even though I dont think it was) so changed them both for brand new ones then reassembled everything and spent ages adjusting the handbrake with limited success to the point where it'd have to do.

Oh and I changed the knackered UJ, fair play to the tester I've never seen one that badly worn Embarassed  Laughing  Laughing

Fairly happy with my results I went to the test centre yesterday and booked the re-test for today. pale

Then last night I had a last minute change of heart with the handbrake (couldn't bear it to fail on something so silly after all the work I've done to it) and went out to the garage, took it all apart again, took the new shoes off and put the old ones back on before going through the whole handbrake adjusment thing again. Handbrake now works lovely!

Took it down to the test centre this morning and had to leave it all day again, still nervously knowing that the only thing it could fail on now was the emissions, but joy of joys it just squeeked under the limit on the HCs Razz. So now I have a shiny new 12 month ticket. hello1  headbang  toothy7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one!!!
deathbus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwality mate!

nice feeling innit! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: