4x4 Mart magazine discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Samurai Suggested Mods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chambers874

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 18:37    Post subject: Samurai Suggested Mods Reply with quote

Hi All

Just wondered what mods you guys would suggest for a standard Samurai???

It has got all terrain tyres on at the moment and No front bumper.

The previous owner has taken out the rear seats.

I was thinking about a lift of some sort, maybe a 2inch lift shackles to give more clearance...

Any suggestions welcome..

Thanks

Shane
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 18:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaiRees

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate I hate shackles, particularly on the front. They ruin your springs, the fangs sticking down at the front ruin your approach angle. If you want a 2" spring lift go for add-a-leafs http://www.llama4x4.com/page7.htm

Personally I found that the clearance under the truck is pretty good, and when you get bigger tyres on it'll obviously increase the clearance even more. When I fitted bigger tyres though (and removed the anti-roll bar to increase articulation) the fronts started to rub under the wheel arches. That's the point where most people go for a suspension lift, but most of my mates who have used add-a-leafs or other spring lifts found that the new springs are stiffer so reduce articulation, so I went for a 2" body lift instead.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions mate

Can you tell me more about the tyres........Do I need new wheels or do I just increase the size of the tyre on the same rim......Sorry to sound a bit stupid but new to this......I have modded other cars before so know about the rolling radius having to be the same etc etc.

I think I will go for a body lift...I have seen the bits on ebay to do that...Is it an easy job to do???

If i am to get it throught the mot do I need to put a front bumper back on??? Will have to try and source on from somewhere if so.

My priorities are as follows then:

1. Bumper for MOT work (if needed)
2. Bigger tyres/wheels
3. Body lift
4. Suspension lift of some sort

This should keep me busy over the coming months!!!!!

Keep the suggestions coming!!!!

Thanks

Shane
DaiRees

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body lift isn't difficult, instructions here http://www.roadlessgear.com/html/techarticles/bodylift/index.html Like I said I'm too tight to pay for the kit so I made one Laughing

What wheels and tyres have you got at the moment fella? Mine had alloys with road tyres when I got it, but I changed them straight away for 195R15 all terrains. Then some time later I got 215R15 mud terrains. You want bigger tyres with these things to lift the truck higher off the ground, don't worry about keeping the radius the same, mine's gone up about 8% since I bought it (strangely enough my speedo now reads about right to the GPS Rolling Eyes  Laughing ) Here's the difference between the A/Ts and the M/Ts....

They're fitted on standard steel rims, but you might wanna get slightly wider rims with more offset, my tyres just catch the springs on full lock, but it's not enough to worry about and really you hardly ever notice it. Some of my mates use 235/75R15s, they do need more offset or spacers!

I don't think the bumper's necessary for the MOT, I know loads of people who haven't got one! Make sure you've got proper sidelights and indicators though, and that the number plate is legal. Have the bumper brackets been cut off?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mate

Thanks for all the suggestions.....I will be busy this weekend!!!!

I have been talking to a few people who have suggested an over axle lift.....What's your thoughts??? Would i need to extend the brake lines for that???? It looks like quite a simple job to do???

I have a couple of spare leaf springs that the previous owner had that he has chucked in..and a couple of spare wheels and tyres... They are all the same make will let you know later.

On another point.......THe front wings (drivers side in particular) is quite badly rusted at the front .....in fact there is a piece missing......Would you change the wing or just shape them on both sides or weld a plate on???

I will get some pics posted soon with all the probs i find???

Any more help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shane
DaiRees

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mods you do are to your own choice mate, personally I don't like spring over axle (SPOA), but that's just 'cos it doesn't suit what I want to do with my truck. You would need to extend the brake lines and I think you need to extend the propshafts and fiddle with the steering. Also there's the possibility of your springs turning into S hooks, there are mods to overcome this but I don't know what they are. I always felt that these major mods were a spillery slope, once you change something you'll end up breaking something else, then you'll upgrade that and the next weakest thing will break etc.... Next thing you know you've spent all your money and ended up with a truck that can climb a wall but is impossible to drive on the road.  Rolling Eyes  Laughing

I wanted to keep mine as standard looking as possible (hence the cuddly pink hairdresser graphics up the side that I haven't removed, makes the car less threatening to the bobble hats!! Laughing ) while making it a very capable laning tool that's also not too bad to drive to the lanes. Very Happy

Sorry, nearly forgot about the wing... weld a patch in there mate, there's be lots more patches in the future I'm sure.... Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mate

Thanks for the suggestions.......I will only have a proper idea once i get to work on it this weekend.

Will let you know how i get on.

THanks

Shane
chambers874

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Just to let you know that i have now decided that the front wings are completely knackered so need to get some replacements......Any ideas on where I can get them from????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shane
quiksilver_jake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pics mate? sounds like your thinking about the same things i am although im waiting to drop on the right truck, i cannot decide to go for 2" shackles ,  body lift or what.... any progress on yours?

Any pics of the kit you've made for a body lift?

cheers Jake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: