All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2" body lift

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tekwarior

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 17:35    Post subject: 2" body lift Reply with quote

im thinking of doing a 2" bodylift on my 1986 sj410 i have several issues
1. im a tight fisted whatname and dont want to shell out a load of money to a company when i can do most of it myself.
2. with a 2" lift on the body am i going to need anything doing to the steering.
3.any idea where i can get hold of the internally threaded bolts to boilt the body back down onto the chassis ort can anybody suggest an idea on how to achieve a similar thing
any other info regarding problems i may face would be great
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 17:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Richie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tekwarior

A 2" body lift causes no problems with anything on a Samarui so I presume the 410 will be the same. All you need to do is extend the steering column by pulling the inner sleeve from the outer sleeve (we had to melt the plastic inside to allow it to slide). There is also a brake pipe manifold on the drivers inner wing which needs unbolting and then re fitting.

The petrol filler hose should be long enough to loosen and slide down and apart from double checking everything as you lift (brake pipes ect) all should be good.

Are your bumpers fixed to the body or chassis, I have a feeling if you have a 410 the bumpers will be chassis mounted.

As for the internally threaded bolts. These things are a godsend. I did a body lift for a mate using the kit from bits4vits which took a couple of hours taking it easy drinking lots of tea, I couldnt recomend it enough, but it wasnt my cash. I have no idea where you will find anything similar unless you can find internally threaded rod and weld nuts on to cut lengths or maybe you could weld a nut to the inside of your spacers top and bottom so you can screw the spacer on to the captive body bolts and then using short bolts screw up from under the chassis into the bottom of the spacer.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Richie
tekwarior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:19    Post subject: body lifts Reply with quote

well i have found some bolts that are perfect for the body lift and strangly they are manufactured by suzuki themselves they are internally threaded the bolts are from a 1970's gt750 bike and are still avaliable new from crooks (suzuki spares company ) they have a website and currently cost 6.51 each plus VAT so anybody wanting to do a DIY body lift these could be the answer or even better if you can find one of these bike engines in a bike breakers as they have 11 head bolts and you could get them very cheap
all you need do then is sort out the actual spacers- my next project loacte a source of spacers then fit it all up and check it out
DaiRees

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya mate, well done with the bolts!! Cool  I had a mate who works in a machine shop to make me some out of 25mm hex bar. Turned down the outside to leave a shaft with a head, then drilled and tapped up the middle. The difficulty with finding pre-made stuff to fit is the dodgy M10 X 1.25 metric fine thread.

The same mate also made me spacers out of 40mm dia nylon bar. Drlled up the middle, 6 to fit the bolts he'd just made (I think it was about 16mm iirc) and the other 4 at 10mm to fit the 4 long ss bolts I bought for (the front and back).

The whole lost cost me less than £20 (incluting the M10 fine tap I had to buy), how's that for tight? Laughing  Laughing  Cool  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: