All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

jimny tyres help/advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Green Laning / Offroading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firesprite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 14:07    Post subject: jimny tyres help/advice? Reply with quote

Hi,
   i am extremely new to all stuff 4x4 and have just got a jimny. It is supplied with Bridgestone tyres which i reckon are road tyres standard. I have looked at the internet and it seems thay are ok for highway use with "some" offroad capability retained.
I want to use my jimny off road but gently (stop laughing) for shoots and ferreting -rather than green laning cos i just cant afford the repairs/modifications. This car HAS to last me as i cant afford another one!
Are the tyres i have ok for what i intend to do or do i need to be thinking about off road tyres /dual tyres or whatever?
Please keep advice fairly jargon free and in "girl" cos i am a lass!!

(and yes my jimny is a substitute defender cos i couldnt afford to keep one of those either)
grin.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 14:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaiRees

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, good question.

As long as it's dry the tyres you have will probably be fine, but once the bad weather is upon us they'll probably be purplexed by a slight slope on wet grass. There are several reasons to change the tyres, better tread pattern suited to your surface of choice, "off road" tryes tend to be stronger so aren't as easily damaged (particularly side wall damage) by sharp rocks and the like, usually people also get slightly bigger tyres to increase the outer diameter to gain more ground clearance under the car.

I reckon you've got 3 options;

1, Leave it alone and see how she goes.
2, Replace you current tyres with a set of All Terrains, they'll be fine to use on the road and should give quite reasonable performance off the road. Disadvantages are that they're still easily confused by mud and they will very likely wear out quicher than road tyres when used on the road.
3, Have you considered getting a spare set of wheels off ebay or summat? Spandard steel zook wheels are dirt cheap, you can fit them with a set of budget mud terrains and robert is your father brother. Road tyres for the road, MT's for the rough and soft stuff. Disadvantages: a bit tiresome to keep swapping wheels every time you want to go out playing, need space to keep whichever ones aren't on the car Confused

By the way you really shouldn't hurt the Jimny if you take it greenlaning, maybe some light scratching from pushing through overgrown lanes. But as long as you go with someone you know and trust, and who knows the area, it should be easy enough to plan a day's laning without picking up any notable damage.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, took car offroad yesterday for the shoot drives, much fun had by all! Quite gently by your standards i expect. Having never been in a 4x4 in 4wd i drove up in normal drive and back in 4x4, quite a difference. Im hooked. Thinking about finding some local 4x4 lessons/experiences and certainly going to see a friend with his defender....... or should i say, see the defender and talk to its owner!
me and the wife

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see your not too far from us, were gonna try and get to this site early next year if you fancy tagging along Very Happy
http://www.muddybottom4x4.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Green Laning / Offroading All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: