All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New noise in 5th gear.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Jimny Gearbox / Transmission Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DukeIsenheimer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 15:55    Post subject: New noise in 5th gear. Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have a 1990 suzuki jimny, 660 cc turbo.  5 speed manual.   I just got it and do not know how long it's been since it's been serviced all around.  

I just took it on a long trip and near the end of the trip it started making new whining sound when I put it in 5th.  1st and second sound normal.  3rd sounds a little different but still pretty normal.   4th is remarkably  quiet, and finally 5th has a very apparent whine that increases in pitch as I accelerate.  The noise is only present when the gas is applied. I also noticed  a bit of a rattle coming from the shifter, but this too is also only in 5th gear.

I drained the transmission fluid and found some fine metal shavings adhered to the drain plug.  The oil definitely needed to be changed.  I also went ahead and changed the differential oil and transfer case oil.  I also looked under the shifter skirt and  boot and found broken bits of rubber or plastic and vacuumed that out.

Has anybody else experienced a whiny 5th gear?  Is my transmissiom on the way out or is this something that is fairly normal.  It's only got 80,000 km.  It doesn't seem to be getting worse or louder but it's definitely different than before...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 15:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Jimny Gearbox / Transmission Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: