4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

automatic transmission oil cooler on 2004 Chevy Tracker (Vit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mariohere

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:32    Post subject: automatic transmission oil cooler on 2004 Chevy Tracker (Vit Reply with quote

Hello group,

I have a 2004 Chevy Tracker which is a 2004 Suzuki Vitara.  It is a V-6 4x4.  I do quite a bit of towing with the vehicle.   I would like to equip my vehicle with a transmission oil temperature gauge as well as an auxiliary transmission oil cooler.  I live in New York State which has pretty cold winters, therefore I want to install an automatic bypass valve with the transmission oil cooler.  

Would the group please recommend some options for me?

Thank you!

Mario
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mariohere

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:45    Post subject: cooler and bypass valve Reply with quote

Ok, so I figured that I don't really need a transmission oil temp. guage, and I don't have much room for it so I'm skipping that.

I found a transmission oil cooler from advance auto parts that is a good size. 5 inches tall by almost 16 inches wide.  this fits perfectly behind the bumper(still in direct air flow) and just below the fan.  It's called the Imperial Econo-Kool® Transmission Oil Cooler
Part No. 242010

I also purchased a Derale 13011 Fluid Control Thermostat Kit.  This will allow the vehicle to automatically bypass the trans oil cooler while the vehicle is warming up.  

I'll let you know how the install goes.   geek
mariohere

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:31    Post subject: automatic transmission oil temperature gauge Reply with quote

So I found a reasonably priced temperature gauage designed for water or oil.  I'm going to attempt to mount the probe in the automatic trans drain plug (replacing the plug with the probe).  I'll let you know how it worked out.
mariohere

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:34    Post subject: Re: automatic transmission oil temperature gauge Reply with quote

mariohere wrote:
So I found a reasonably priced temperature gauage designed for water or oil.  I'm going to attempt to mount the probe in the automatic trans drain plug (replacing the plug with the probe).  I'll let you know how it worked out.

Temp guage is Bosch SP0F000053 Style Line 2" Mechanical Water/Oil Temperature Gauge (Black Dial Face, Black Bezel)
mariohere

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 0:59    Post subject: Installation and bracket for trans oil bypass Reply with quote

I finished the installation today.  I had to make a special bracket to mount the bypass valve.  The bypass valve that I used is called the Derale Performance Fluid Control thermostat stock # 13011.  I decided that I will make a few extra brackets and sell them on ebay since you can't get them anywhere else in the world.  I will also be selling a front mounted (removeable) winch mount - stay tuned.  Here is my ebay page:  http://www.ebay.com/usr/mariohere

I mounted the trans oil cooler toward the bottom of the front radiator just behind the bumper. Luckily the bumper has vents in it for air flow.  Again, the trans oil cooler that I used is the Imperial Econo-Kool® Transmission Oil Cooler  Part No. 242010.  It's 5" tall by 16" wide.  I could have fit an extra 4 or 5" wide, but I couldn't find one in that dimension.  The 5" height is perfect for this installation.

It was a pretty straight forwards installation with enough room to fit everything, but not much room to spare.  One note of caution:  Please take extra time to make sure that you have the transmission lines connected correctly when you do this installation.  There are 4 lines that need to be connected, and due to the fact that there are multiple ways the bypass valve can be mounted it can be very difficult to get the lines on the right connectors.  For example, the way I mounted the valve it was upside down and backwards from the way the valve was shown in the diagram that came with it.  Take your time and label and even redraw a diagram if necessary so you don't screw it up.

If I can figure out a way to post a Picture then I will.  

-mariohere

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugkjifr4a0popr2/20170506_142807.jpg?dl=0[/img]
mariohere

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:01    Post subject: picture of bypass, bracket, and bottom of trans oil cooler Reply with quote

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugkjifr4a0popr2/20170506_142807.jpg?dl=0[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: