4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Newbie from Costa Rica

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> New Member introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yrral59

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 23:56    Post subject: Newbie from Costa Rica Reply with quote

Hello all.

I live in rural jungle mountain country, Costa Rica. Retired, married, (36 years) empty nest, surf, fish, hike, play guitar. I am not very mechanical but I am no afraid to dive in and get my hands dirty.  I brought a trail rated Jeep Liberty here from the USA. Total disaster. Ok SUV with great 4x4 ability but.... I Can not get parts here so when it breaks down (jeeps always break down) it is always a 2 week process getting the part here. Live and learn.

So, I am considering buying a used Suzuki Grand Vitara.  The Grand Vitara is a very popular car in Costa Rica. New and used parts are easy to obtain and mechanics here are very familiar with working on them.

I will drive an average of 12k – 15k miles per year.
5 months of the year the climate is very dry and super dusty.
7 months are very wet and muddy.
All Driving is mountainous steep and winding.
50% the mileage will be on good paved roads traveling  an average of 45 mph.
Top crusing speeds on occasional 2-3 hour long trips would be 65 mph.
25% the mileage will be on good maintained dirt/gravel roads.
But the other 25% will require true 4x4 offroad capability on poorly maintained rural roads rutted, muddy, Steep, winding, with the occasional rocky shallow river crossing.
I am not into offroading for the fun of it. But living here requires true offroad 4x4 capabilities.
Based on the research I have done and the amount GV here I believe it would be a good choice for the driving conditions here.
Based on my budget I would consider a GV between 2005 – 2011.
I will only consider a 5door, manual, with true offroad 4x4.
Based on the above described driving conditions
What engines should I consider?
4 cylinder vs 6cylinder,
Gas vs Diesel?
Any year I should avoid?
Any recalls I should be aware of?
All comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.  
If there is a better location to post this let me know.

Thanks

yrral59
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 23:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> New Member introductions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: