Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Sticky front Brakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Wheels / tyres / brakes / steering / suspension / chassis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nejtun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 13:22    Post subject: Sticky front Brakes Reply with quote

Hi all, I have an '89 samurai and recently drove a few miles and started to smell brake pads ! the steering also pulled a bit to the right when i let go of the wheel ! needless to say i parked up and had a little look , the brakes stunk!, so i guess the calliper is sticking a bit. My sammy is a standard jap model. what would be the first step here as i dont want to spend loads of money for nothing plus I am not in england at the mo so getting things posted 1000 miles across europe gets pricey ! I am going to bleed the whole system anyway as the fluid is a bit old , my pads and shoes are in good shape and surprisingly the brakes where very very strong before this little incident. am I looking at a rebuild kit ? or am i better off ditiching these calipers completely and finding some elsewhere ? would i be saving myself hassle in the long run betting a pair of new calipers completely from the local suzuki dealer ? ( i think there are over £100 each though so please say no Smile ) thanks in advance !
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 13:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Skipper Jolly
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 17:12    Post subject: Front brake calipers. Reply with quote

Don't know if you've fixed the problem but I have just rebuilt my front calipers on my 1990 Santana Samurai.
I got the re-build kits for both sides from Euro4x4parts.com. Reasonably quick and cheap and it was simple to strip them down, clean up with 1200 grit wet & dry paper lubricated with brake fluid, wash out with brake cleaner, install the new bits and re-fit. Now the old bus stops like a demon!
You can get new pistons as well if you feel you need to. There shouldn't be any need to get new calipers if you can handle the few parts that make up the caliper.
The main trick is to soak the pipe unions / threads in oil for a couple of days before-hand and make sure your spanners are a good fit otherwise you could wind up with rounded nuts and nobody wants that! Smile  Smile
Hope it works out for you.
Nejtun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that skipper,

I am in eastern europe at the mo so most of my bits need to come from the local suzuki dealer, got a couple of rebuild kits dead cheap though , so stripped down the callipers ( the pistons were in a terrible state) cleaned everything up , lubed and rebuilt ! got some cutting oil on the rear drum bleed valve and the proportioning valve bleed nippple which i will leave until tomorrow so i dont ruin the bleeders!hopefully i shall have some new stopping power and it cost me only 30 euros ! bargain Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Wheels / tyres / brakes / steering / suspension / chassis All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: