4x4 Mart magazine discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Samurai Rebuild (hopefully) :)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Projects & Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nejtun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:11    Post subject: Samurai Rebuild (hopefully) :) Reply with quote

Ok so I got a new Samurai, its my fourth and I am determined not to sell this one!

first pics are of the car as i got it, will put as many notes and updates as I can , any advice on the bits I get stuck on will be much appreciated Smile

this is what I have to start with , I have done a couple of bits already , but I will spread them over a couple of posts
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

me and the wife

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, hope u can weld lol
Nejtun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

me and the wife wrote:
hello, hope u can weld lol

I can Wink which is lucky! I am quite handy with fibre glass as well so hopefully it will look good as new in a couple of months rather than a tetanus injection waiting to happen :p
Nejtun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first, off with the bumpers !

bit of a rub down and plastic primer for the ends and a massive rub down and some repairs needed for the metal bits.

a few nicks left in the bumper ends but I have run out of plastic primer so a bit of patience for those Wink

me and the wife

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love watching peoples builds, i always forget to take pics of mine when im doing bits to it
Nejtun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promised myself I would keep a record this time, so its all about the photos Smile
Nejtun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a spare set of chunky wheels and tyres with the car, slightly ugly wheels but they fill the arches better than the standard ones and give a much more stable ride. Not in very good condition though so time for some 240 grit wet and dry.

whipped the valves out and squeezed some newspaper down the sides ( cheapest masking paper in the world!)
then a couple of layers of primer.

a day to let that go off then a couple of layers of black gloss, trying to avoid any runny drippy bits.

using the back of the SJ as my spray booth as it is always dry and dust free !

24 hours later , a couple of layers of lacquer and the wheels look a bit better, probably could have got rid of a few more lumps and bumps but I am not of fan of this wheel pattern at all so not really worth wasting extra materials.

little bit of overspray once i took the masking paper off but no biggie Smile

a quick application of "Poorboys trim and tyre restorer" and the tyres look nice and shiny for a couple of months .

newly painted wheels on the car just for a quick look Smile ( i am so impatient !)

Nejtun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I have done some more to this troublemaker!

Sprayed the rear interior with halfords truck bed liner

bit of primer and a rub down on the bumpers until i can get some decent aftermarket versions

masked and sprayed the badges while they were out of the wings so i didnt have to do them later !

the start of the rebuild of the rear under arch bits , fibre glass instead of rotting tin will do the job here, still not sure which wheel arches to cover this with

Last edited by Nejtun on Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:10; edited 1 time in total
Nejtun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite liked the texture of the bedliner , so used the rest up on the bumpers !

made some temporary backing plates for the lights out of wood, i'll redo them in acrylic when i get some tools to cut it with Smile

bumpers on and some new earths to get rid of the disco light effect that comes with 25 year old wiring

most of the rusty bits are pretty much cut out and repaired, need a few dry days for prep and prime and painting! but the car is legal for the road again so i can drive it to work \o/

Nejtun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running very short on dry weekend days now so the opportunities for painting are getting a bit scarce!
need to get the arches on ASAP though so wings first then the other bits.

a bit of masking so I don't have to scrape the glass later Wink wait for the wind to drop a squiz of primer and hope like hell it doesn't rain over night !  

My luck holds out and the Sunday is merciful with the weather, quick rub down then 3 layers of Matt Black before the sky gets all grumpy and attempts to ruin my weekend.

Nejtun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, with the arches painted and dried some 32mm wheel spacers were the next to go on, forgetting of course to take a picture but what can you do?

Now however I risk getting busted by the boys in blue as there is about an inch of tyre sticking out! ( not that much but best to stay legal )

got some nice land rover arches and a friend with steady hands to get the arches lined up nicely, smashing it down with rain but the kettle is close by for a quick escape once the work is done.

Nejtun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rain is now brutal so no more painting till luck is back on my side which means my car looks a bit like a chess board i'm told!

moving to the inside found some nice material for the rear interior panels a bit of 3mm hardboard and some bubble wrap to pad it out a bit.break out the trusty staple gun and with a quick hand from my sharp little friend 'stan le Knife' whipped up some new panels to replace the nasty rotting ones.

pop some speakers in before I fix them into the car and save myself a headache later.

and fix them into place! might make them again later as they are not that nice a fit. what i wouldn't give to have a garage and a workbench instead of my sofa and a long walk to the car :p

DavidS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it Smile doing a great job there
Nejtun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers ,all the roadworthy bits are now done. I'm still on about putting a 3 inch lift and 31 inch tyres on , i am not sure my engine is up to turning those fat wheels. I don't want to change from a 1.3 either really anybody tried 31 x 10.5 x 15's with the standard sammy engine?
Ratty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats a bit rotty.

Looking good now.
Liking the map idea.Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Projects & Builds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: