4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Radiator Troubles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owen_999

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 13:53    Post subject: Radiator Troubles Reply with quote

Just got back from a drive and i can hear my overflow bottle bubbling away to itself. the car doesnt seem to physically overheat itself and the gauge doesnt go over 90degs but the bottle is bubbling away to itself and overflowing out of the bottle to the floor. is there anything im missing. all the pipes are hot so im pretty certain the thermostat is opening. could this be a problem with the head gasket? i hope not. the oil isnt creamy or anything.

any help would be greatly appreciated
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 13:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tallbike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having this problem myself on my 98 Vitara 4U2... the rad cap has been 'gapped' by my mechanic to stop the system pressurising too much, thus prevent the water trying to escape through the next easy way out of the system, the head gasket! So now after a time running, I too get a bubbling in the expansion tank and checking the water after every decent journey, I suggest I lose 1.5-2 litres of water per 20 mile journey to work. This was fine over the winter as the air temp kept the rad at a bearable temp to prevent water loss... now I'm thinking about fitting an electric fan infront of the rad, permanently on to prevent water loss.

Question is, why is the cooling system pressurising so much? Is it that Im just putting off the fact that the head gasket has gone even though the usual signs are not present (mayo under the oil filler cap or on dipstick)?

Anyone had any experience with this sort of issue?
31" MT tyres
Matching trailer being built from a 5 door Vit, watch this space!
Skipper Jolly
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 17:32    Post subject: Expansion bottle fountain Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my 1300cc SJ Samurai.
My problem was the Head Gasket had gone and gas was escaping into the water system. Had the same problem with my previous Pajero  Crying or Very sad
I am now good at head gaskets and look after the cooling system very carefully on both cars.
Tallbike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it seems the head gasket is ok on mine, I decided to get round the problem by fitting a electric fan and new rad cap which seems to have cured the problem. Further discussion with various other people suggest the radiator isn't doing enough to cool the engine so while I have cured this, I feel the correct way to solve this would be to fit a new rad as the one currently fitted holds water but doesn't look too clever. Very Happy
31" MT tyres
Matching trailer being built from a 5 door Vit, watch this space!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: