All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Lifting my SUZI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Vitara modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinksuzi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:12    Post subject: Lifting my SUZI Reply with quote

Hi just wanting some advise on the best lift for my 93 2 door vitara. I do a bit of beach 4wding and clearance is becoming an issue at times. i dont really wanna increase my tyre sizes as i heard this can increase strain on the engine and ill lose power.. any feedback and suggestions is appreciated.

cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tallbike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a similar dilemma with my own Vit grounding out on the chassis, the only way around the problem is a suspension lift. If this is going to be your only ride height modification then I would be inclined to go for a 3 inch lift, understanding that the higher your lift the lesser the road manners as the steering is less in touch with the road surface and chances are you will need to do away with the anti roll bar. Other associated problems with suspension lift include increased wear on driveshafts and propshafts as drive angle increased. Also camber correction bolts will be required. A 2 inch lift will keep these problems detailed above to a minimum... a subtle increase in tyre size will add to ride height without compramising on major strain on drive components but will also give the right tread pattern/spread for the beach over standard road tyres, but then driving your vit hard on the beach is going to add strain to drive train regardless, so I ask you Pinksuzi, does it really matter about bigger tyre size as smaller tyres would have increased drag on the beach anyways?? It sort of depends on weather your on the beach more than your on the motorway.... the bigger tyres apparently have to be worked harder to reach motorway speeds, thats if you can put up with the road noise as M/Ts will give you more of that, also some people tell me if you go too big means you lose the ability to have enough torque from the gearbox to use 5th gear!

In short, I think its all about a payoff and understanding what you want to get from your Vit because as soon as you modify it for one job, it will be slightly less able to do other jobs its designed to do. Simple advice? OK, do a 2 inch suspension lift, subtle tyre increase with the maximum tyre width and best/most aggressive tread pattern. Keep a set of standard road tyres for M.o.T's and any long motorway drives. Thats kinda my own plan! Very Happy

Hope this helps! Cool
31" MT tyres
Matching trailer being built from a 5 door Vit, watch this space!
pinksuzi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your post i have found some of your info useful however i should have put a bit more info about my car.. it already has tyres up 2 sizes from standard.. i could prob squeeze some 225`s on but seeing my car is auto the bigger the increase with tyres it really will affect my speed. i am considering a chassis lift as apposed to a suspension lift (suspension lift seems alot more involved) but at the same time whichever is safer and still good for the road will be my best option ..
pinksuzi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

also... MT arent really suited for the offroad i do.. that being beach sand they just dig.. AT im thinking is the way to go... i have only had this car a month so havent had much of a chance to do research.
Tallbike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be the one to break it to you my friend but research is the key!  Laughing

If a body lift is on the cards, there is enough work involved in that too. Moving brake line mountings down(in prep for a possible suspension lift later), steering link extension, gearshift extension(s), some electrical items will need leads extending, tow electrics, lights and/or fog lamps wiring. Also worth buying a decent body lift kit from the start.  thumbright

Alot of this knowledge stated here and previously in the same thread has been gathered either by my own research either from this forum or from searching for said parts, I quote bits4vits website at this point (others available and worth cross referencing pricing on that ebay!), a real eye opener to decide how much things cost but more importantly whats available for the job in hand! Very Happy

After all that, you still keep your road 'manners' with your Vit just body lifted but you don't increase your ground clearance(chassis will still be the same height!) unless you consider either bigger tyres or a suspension lift. Confused

I'm sorry to spell it out, but thats the way it is!  Rolling Eyes
31" MT tyres
Matching trailer being built from a 5 door Vit, watch this space!
Harald

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 19:18    Post subject: Lifted Vitara Reply with quote

I first mounted OME2" liftkit, it improved the ride alot and made room for 30x9,5x15 Aurora RT02,
Then I added an 2" bodylift. The bl did not give me moore ground clearanse bt it saved my doorchannels, for some time.
Now I am cutting fenders and floor for 31" Insa Turbo ( Simex extreeme copy).
Starting to lift and offroading Zukis is a decease not a hobby:)
Good luck with youre build

Harald
Tromsø 70'N
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Vitara modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: