4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Check Engine Light On.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UKGRANDVITARA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 21:16    Post subject: Check Engine Light On. Reply with quote

I have posted this also in the GV Engine section but as I need some help I thought it would be a good idea to post here as well, so I can get some answers and with some luck have a look before work in the morning - rain permitting.

Hi. Firstly I wish I said hi a few weeks ago after buying a 2000 model GV, second generation Petrol model vehicle which has covered just 71k with full Suzuki History, with bills and Im very very happy and proud to own it. Shes my baby!

But just a few hours ago coming home from work drove over a bumpy bridge and noticed I had the MIL light stay on. Now this could have been a coincidence going over this bridge but thought Id mention it anyway. The other thing I will mention is that on starting her up she idles at 1.5k for a few minutes then she comes down to 5-6k and ticks over perfectly.Is this normal - I thought this was for a GV.

Do you guys think any of the above are related to the MIL? If not, does my car have the right facility where I can read the fault code myself using the flashing MIL light to give the code?or codes? Where would the plug be in engine bay and what does it look like? Procedure needed please to loop out plug or what ever it is I need to do to get the codes.

I would like to solve this myself If I can so If anyone can give me some help that would be great. Apologise if this post is in the wrong section also I did try looking through some posts but was getting blurred vision after reading so many lol.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 21:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

UKGRANDVITARA

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Location for plug anyone. Been looking in engine bay and can not seem to find this plug. Is the plug behind the battery on right hand side of engine? This one is white plastic. Does it plug in to a part of the car or does in look like an inline connector?
flookyk

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI, I answered this on here as well as your other thread in case you missed it.

You can pick up a fault code scanner/ reader for under £30 these days on ebay.

The connector you plug this into is under the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel, looks a bit like a scart connector, if you get down in the drivers side from outside and look up under the dash next to the centre console.

Mine is a GV1600 (2001) and the light was on all the time, connected my dad's scanner and it picked up a faulty Oxygen sensor No 1, which I picked up a replacement for around £40 and fitted, reset the light and fixed it.

One thing to mention, is try resetting it first and see if it comes back on as they can sometimes flash up a fault in error.

You can reset it by using the scanner or disconnect your battery for around 10 minutes or so.
deathbus

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

HIYA  Very Happy

id satrt by reseting the ecu by disconnecting the battery for ten seconds or so. check you have the radio code before doing it tho (if your radio requires a code) then give her a run about the block, or better yet, onto the bypass/motorway and see if the light comes on again.

as for self diagnosis of the obd2 ecu, there will almost definitely be a way, however, i dont know which particular pins you need to bridge out. i self tested a 2001 honda hrv the other day so i know that the obd2 data connector can be bridged out to give codes using the mil light, just like on obd1 cars. on the honda it was pins 4 & 8, however on my 2002 vauxhall combo van its different pins to the honda. maybe a euro/jap thing or marque specific, im not sure.

hope this helps for now, il post up some more stuff shortly, need to reset web browser as it wont let me copy/paste the links i found.  Rolling Eyes

ttfn
deathbus

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look thru this  http://www.rhinopower.org/diag/diag_main.html

might be something in hereto help, since im not near the vit its hard to tell  Laughing

also the idling thing sounds about right, its the fitv valve doin its job, basically an auto choke. im assuming you meant 5-600 rpm not 5-6k rpm.
UKGRANDVITARA

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.  While on lunch at work I disconnected the battery and while I was waiting I looked again for this plug. Found a plug tucked away under the fuses that had some sort of cover over it. This plug wasnt plugged in anywhere and was just a FOUR PIN unit.
  I panicked and thought I had missed the oppertunity to short out the two contacts within th plug at the end to find out what the error code was and so quickly recconected the battery (less than 10 mins). Using a piece of wire connected two contacts together as described in link in Deathbus's post, turned ignition on and NOTHING. Just had the Check Light stay on, the one next to the  airbag light. It didnt blink the error code. B and C was connected, ignition was on all the way, but light satyed on.
 Anyway removed link went back to work and that was it. Finished work jumped in car turned her on, and light stayed OFF. Very strange, so drove home and light never returned. Would have liked to find out what the issue was if any, or even if I had used the right plug, so will now have to buy a tester I think to find out more.
  Still would have liked to know if the plug I found was the right one though so will do some more hunting for it tomorrow but for now its all good I hope. Will give an update tomorrow now, but if someone can help me find this plug or confirm the one I used was correct that would be a start.Did I reset the ECU? Just dont know.
deathbus

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, you reset it alright.

if it was a serious fault the ligfht would have come back on already im sure. the obd system will disregard any fault if it occurs only once, second time it brings the light on.

could be that a plug is a little loose fitting and the bumpy road caused it to break continuity a couple of times. id check all  the plugs on the engine and make sure theyre all connected properly.

other than that its just a case of playing the waiting game  Laughing to see if it happens again.

as for finding out if you found the right plug, you could disconnect something an run the engine till the lightcomes onand then you should have a code flash up. personally id leavewell enuff alone. as the sayin goes, if it aint broke.......
UKGRANDVITARA

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah deathbus, I think your right. I will leave it alone. Will post back anyway tomorrow with an update and perhaps a picture of engine bay if im allowed (minimum posts?) to you can see where this plug was found and what it looks like. It would be nice to know for definite for next time touch wood it doesnt come on again.
UKGRANDVITARA

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

All is good, had no more issues and many thanks for the quick replies and help I have had in dealing with this issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: