All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New owner of an apparent rare 98 SWB 2.0L Vitara

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> New Member introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrKnievel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 23:41    Post subject: New owner of an apparent rare 98 SWB 2.0L Vitara Reply with quote

After our Mitsubishi Delica L400 gave up the ghost we needed a new car so me and my wife come to an agreement, we'll get a little runaround 4x4 for this winter then next summer (when i pay the final payment on my Fireblade) we'll buy a new'ish decent car.
So the Mrs says shes always fancied a little Suzuki Vitara! To be honest i was not impressed but agreed seeing as it was just gonna be a winter hack. After a week or two of looking at adverts she set her heart on one over 100 miles away and badgered me till i ended up going to view it and ended up buying it because it was in really good condition.
First impression driving down the motorway at 65-70mph was not pleasant, if the truth be heard i hated it and couldn't wait to get out of it... but then i come to the end of the M4 and got into London... it was at this point a small miracle happened (like when Jake sees the light in The Blues Brothers). This little jeep all of a sudden become one of the nippiest great handling cars i've ever driven (and i've had quite a few good cars), i can only explain it in biker terms as it being like a Supermoto with slicks, it accelerates like a bike and grips like a go kart, i even purposely went a bit too fast round some corners and it was like it was on rails!

Anyway, i joined a forum about 2-3 weeks ago when i first got the car and told them i had a 98 Vitara 2.0L JLX SE, the first few replies i received were worrying because people were saying Suzuki never made a 2.0L model in a SWB in 98 and that it was some kinda hybrid but then a really nice bloke done some research for me and found out that it is a rare Japanese built sport model and that only 12 were ever imported into the country!

Talk about a jammy git eh, and bless my badgering wife Laughing

Look forward to chatting...hopefully Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 23:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

WESTINI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum! I have only had my Vitara 1.6 JLX SE for 5 days and I am already loving it... nowhere near as fast as my V6 Probe (yeah, i know... but its rebuilt from the ground up by myself).. So I bought this Vitara for the winter, its the softtop, soft roof model, so far everything is positive.. love driving it so much it is my daily, despite the weather being fantastic at the moment!
MrKnievel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Westini, i've had mine for about 3 weeks (maybe a month) and still loving it.
I wouldn't say mine is fast but a car the size of a matchbox with a 2.0L engine does pick-up quite well Laughing
Mine is the hardtop model, would've loved a softtop but the Mrs loved this one from the moment she see it.
My only complaint is when you first start it when it's stone cold and pull away it tends to bog down a little between 2000-3000rpm, once its warmed up after a couple of mins it runs perfectly, i've had a few pointers from other owners and when i've got a few quid spare i'll try and get it sorted, for the time being i'm happy to let it run for a couple of mins before driving off so it's no big deal.

Can't wait for the snow to turn up, i should imagine these little jeeps are superb on the powder!  Wink
WESTINI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly hope they are, they have good reviews - go where no landrover can.. apparently..

Isnt it typical that as soon as we buy one in preparation for the winter, we get a bloody Indian summer and soaring temperatures.... c'mon snow, we are waiting... doing a bit of off roading this weekend, find some fields and mud to plug through. Should be fun, see what it can do...
zocko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome aboard....

as it says in the film: "have you seen the light?"

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
MrKnievel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing hahahaha yeh typical British weather but i'm not complaining, i was gonna tuck the bike away in the garage for the winter but now i'm meeting half a dozen mates for a ride to the south coast with fish'n'chips on the beach this weekend!  Cool
Let me know how you get on with it off road, i've read some good reviews and seen some youtube footage of them driving through virtually impossible conditions. Alas i doubt mine will ever see off road action, i'm more into polishing and posing however i may gently drive across the odd field to a festival Laughing

Thanks for the welcome Zocko, and yes, i have well and truly seen the light, i like this little car so much i'm even trying to convert a couple of friends, it won't be long till the light shines upon them brother Zucko Laughing
zocko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait til they see a fully modded zook

youll be fighting them off yours lol

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
MrKnievel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

zocko wrote:
wait til they see a fully modded zook

youll be fighting them off yours lol
Yeh, some of the modded ones look great! I know i'm going against the grain (so to speak) but I like the street look rather than the full-on off roadie look. Obviously each to their own and i admire the jacked up super Vitaras with winches roll bars snorkels etc but i prefer the fat wheeled low look of mine, like a mini Range Rover Overfinch  Laughing

Completely off the posing subject...
I actually found an identical Vitara as mine last night after tapping in my factory code SV420G-3.
It's up for sale in Australia for $7,300, that converts to £4,567.67! Wonder why they cost so much over there???
Even early Vitaras hold their money in Aus, a 1989 model, a bit tatty £2000! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> New Member introductions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: