All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tin worm and brown stuff....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Bodywork & trim
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcmaloney

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 14:43    Post subject: Tin worm and brown stuff.... Reply with quote

Apologies for my absence I have been endevouring to break my Vit by driving all over the UK. I have failed. Its relentlessly coped with all manner of mud,lanes,fields etc etc with no complaints.
I have however noticed the odd hole (back of rear wheel arches where the mudflaps hang) and some bodywork bubbling above the plastic trims.
Best plan of attack? Strip down & see how bad it is? Ignore it in the hope it will go away? Quick sanding & some Hammerite? Any Rot Advice welcome!!  Laughing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 14:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jcmaloney

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its still surviving the MOT!  Laughing
The garage bod "advised" that the outer sills may need welding sooner rather than later. I enquired as to cost & he said...."It depends how long it takes to find sound metal".  Sad
The flip side was that he said the chassis was sound. Not wishing to seem too stooopid am I correct in thinking it would be viable to chop out the rotten sills completely, pop in some new ones (or similar) and carry on?
zocko

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

chop out the sills and replace with 80mmx80mm box section.

wont rot again and also makes handy rock sliders  Laughing

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
jcmaloney

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after "life" getting in the way and with another MOT pending I decided to have a hack.
Unfortunately I never thought about taking pics before & during...just after as I was feeling a bit smug!  Laughing
Took the plastic trims off and found out they were mostly holding the sills...in brown rusty paste. Done lots of chopping,grinding and such like to remove the rot and got a friend to weld in some box steel and various plating.
Tidied up the rear wheel arch edges with some silicone and some rubber tubing & plenty hammerite!!
Plated the rear mudflaps as they were 70% fresh air!
MOT Passed without a whisper!  Very Happy
Slapped on loads of mud & water detterent..... and for an old gal(N Plate)  she looks alright underneath!

A few days hard graft, around £200 on metals & consumables and chucked my mate £150 for the welding. Good for another 20 years I reckon!!
jcmaloney

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 13:49    Post subject: Its been a while... Reply with quote

Sadly the old girl got rear ended in the snow in Jan 2018.......  Crying or Very sad

Off to the yard for her...as well as the 6 month old Focus that hit her!!  Laughing

Collecting new Vit on Saturday!!  Very Happy  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Bodywork & trim All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: