All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Questions about GV2000 wheels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Vitara steering, suspension, brakes and wheels Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigyin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 15:50    Post subject: Questions about GV2000 wheels Reply with quote

My GV2000 is having a problem with 4wd. It's like it's jammed up. Somebody has mentioned the car has got the wrong wheels on it and I might have to manually set the wheels to lock/free.

Now I don't know much about 4wd, but I went and had a look and there is nothing on the wheels that can be moved. I've taken a picture of the wheels I have and could anyone tell me if these are standard.

Another question is about tyres. I notice the front tyres are skinny  compared to the back tyres which are very wide. Is this normal or should I have same size all round ?

edit: tried posting a picture but not able to till I have enough posts, but basically the centre of the wheel has a fixed black plastic cap which by the looks of it cannot be removed unless the wheel is taken of. Does that sound normal ?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 15:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Dribbler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if your tyres are the problem.
Front and rear tyres should have the same diameter-if they are not you will have trouble when selecting 4wd and something is liable to BREAK Exclamation  Exclamation if you drive it in 4wd  Exclamation  
It should be ok in 2wd.
They should be 16" diameter wheels-the standard size tyre is 235/60x16
What year is your GV Question
bigyin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for your help m8. I think the tyres are same diameter, will check tomorrow, but they are definetely different width. Wide at back narrow at front.

I took the wheels off today and there are no things to turn on the hubs that I can see.
bigyin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok today I had a closer look at this. First of all the gearbox is not jammed. If I put it in 4wd it works ok. But what happened the other day was somebody else was test driving the car, and as I was watching him, he put it in 4wd, it went for a short distance and then the car seemd to hop/jump/skip/stop. The guy came back and said there is something wrong with the gearbox.

I've never actually driven this car so I thought he meant it was totally jammed up. But no it seems to be fine.

So today I measured the tyres and there is a discrepency. The fronts are 69cm max diameter whilst the back are about 72cm diameter.

Would that be enough difference to cause the hopping/skipping/jumping after a short distance in 4wd ?

I will try and get a set of tyres for the front or back to match them up and see what happens then.

Fronts are 215/65/R16
Backs are 255/65/R16

Its a 1999 model
Dribbler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep-first thing to do is get 4 tyres the same size.
Don't drive it in 4wd until you do-- as something is likely to break!!!!
The hop/skip/jump is caused by different size tyres.
The owners manual says tyres are 235/60x16--none of yours are the correct size!
zocko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no center diff so driving in 4wd on dry tarmac WILL break something.

Id suggest asking the person "test driving" it to pay some cash.

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
bigyin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dribbler wrote:
Yep-first thing to do is get 4 tyres the same size.
Don't drive it in 4wd until you do-- as something is likely to break!!!!
The hop/skip/jump is caused by different size tyres.
The owners manual says tyres are 235/60x16--none of yours are the correct size!

Ok thanks for advice guys. Can I take it that i don't need to stick with what the manual says as long as same tyres all round. I was going to get 2 replacements for the back to match the front.
zocko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

different sizes from the manual can affect the speedo reading....

also, who was it that took it for a "test drive"?

bigyin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car belonged to my neighbour a polish woman. She listed it on ebay then came and asked me to help her because there was a guy coming to see it and she doesnt speak english very well. This guy brought a mechanic from a local garage and it was the mechanic who took it for a very short drive down the road. He came back and said the gearbox had something wrong with it so the buyer did not buy.

I then bought the car from the lady to help her out. So I've only owned it a few days and I've never owned a 4x4 before. My plan is to either fix it and sell it or maybe use it if we get a bad winter like last year. When the snow was here last time this car was the only one getting in and out of our housing scheme.

If i can't fix it then I might break the car. But really I would like to fix it up. The other thing it needs is a front suspension arm which i know is costly but I'm working on that.
zocko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st thing is get 4 tyres the right size. then check the 4wd OFFROAD. this will stop you winding up the gearbox any further if there is a problem.

after that, its up to you how much money or effort you want to put into it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Vitara steering, suspension, brakes and wheels Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: