Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

broken cam belt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulleslielee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 21:49    Post subject: broken cam belt Reply with quote

Hi Guys. Can anyone help me please? Coming home this afternoon I lost all power in my suzuki vitara jlx 1600cc petrol. I called the aa who got me home after telling me the cam belt was broken. The mechanic said that it would have smashed the valves and pistons and also the cam adjusters. He estimated £1000 for repair charges. When I spin the engine on the starter all sounds reasonably normal to my untrained ear. If I take off the cam belt cover I think I should be able to check if the belt is broken or not. How do I check to see the total extent of the damage. Could I just put a new belt on and see if it starts for example. Any comments and or information will be more than welcome. Also if the engine needs to be scrapped, any idea as to how much a usable 2nd hand one should cost? Many thanks Folks. Regards Paul
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 21:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

suzota

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 150 for a secondhand engine.

take the cam cover off and have a look at the valve stems.
paulleslielee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzota wrote:

Hi! Many thanks for your reply. However I have taken the cam BELT cover off and the belt is in perfect condition and sensibly tight. So I can only assume that the cam belt has not "spun" on the pulleys, because it is a toothed belt and seems to be correctly tensioned. That still leaves me with a non running engine but I have no idea what could be wrong. I don't think this model has electronic ignition but it does have an automatic choke. I suppose the next step is to check if there are sparks.If not, would I be correct in thinking that the nnext stage would be to get the coil checked snd the point/distributor. Your comments would be very much appreciated as I love this little car and would be very upset if I have to scrap it. Regards Paul
paulleslielee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I test the distributor on my Vitara. It is a G16A engine?All help gratefully received as I'm not  very experienced with electronic ignition.
paulleslielee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 19:17    Post subject: Horror of horrors. I've just taken the cam cover off Reply with quote

paulleslielee wrote:
suzota wrote:

Hi! Many thanks for your reply. However I have taken the cam BELT cover off and the belt is in perfect condition and sensibly tight. So I can only assume that the cam belt has not "spun" on the pulleys, because it is a toothed belt and seems to be correctly tensioned. That still leaves me with a non running engine but I have no idea what could be wrong. I don't think this model has electronic ignition but it does have an automatic choke. I suppose the next step is to check if there are sparks.If not, would I be correct in thinking that the nnext stage would be to get the coil checked snd the point/distributor. Your comments would be very much appreciated as I love this little car and would be very upset if I have to scrap it. Regards Paul

The cam cover was removed which exposed the problem.A snapped camshaft. Close inspection of the bottom end of the lump confirms that there is no damage to the pistons or bore. The valves and guides are fine but the 2nd camshaft lournal, counting from cyl1, is very badly chewed up by the broken cam shaft. Does anyone know if this could be bored out and a bush fitted. Any ideas of how much if this is possible? Altenatively does anyone have a G16a 8valve head for sale? All rreplies will bne individually acknowledged.Many thanks Paul
soon2bstuck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey was wondering if you solved your cam shaft problem?

i had exactly the same happen to me this friday.. just checked the belt and it fine.. and decided the camshaft has busted.

anymore advise would be very helpful

cheers Rhys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: