2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

93 Vit 1.6i elec sunroof has stopped working - any ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piemanpete

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 14:54    Post subject: 93 Vit 1.6i elec sunroof has stopped working - any ideas? Reply with quote

It's a JLX Fatboy 5-door with the 1.6 16 valve engine, manual gearbox.

Well, it *is* 18 years old, but the sunroof was working fine when I last tried it, oooh, some time in late 2010. Been SORN since the Spring until I could afford a new windscreen, MoT, cambelt, radiator, yada yada

Just been getting it back on the road for the winter and the shooting season. Elec windows all still work, albeit a little slowly - but I put that down largely to the car having such a pathetically small battery.

So it's not the end of the world, but still it would be good if the sunroof did work. I've pulled the switch out of the dash - that has five wires. There's 12v on one of them; the others all seem to be live feeds of some sort to the motor as none of them go to ground. It actually looks as though it might have been fitted after manufacture as some of the wires to the switch have crimp connectors in them - maybe sunroofs were added by the importer on arrival, rather than at the factory? The switch looks OEM, though.

All the fuses I could find are ok too - in engine compartment and under dash to right of steering column - poxy location for fuses as usual.

I pulled back the trim and headlining around the sunroof so I could locate the motor. It's hidden under some yellow hard foam, but a screwdriver slot for manual operation in case of motor failure was accessible. I tried that and I could tilt, slide open and close the sunroof no problem, so I presume the motor has seized/failed - although I would expect it to blow a fuse somewhere in that case - unless someone wired it straight to the bus/battery - naughty!

To the right of the maual operation screw is what looks like a white nylon socket <10mm dia with four female connector pinouts - any idea what that's for?

I can see where the wires come up from the dash but presumably unless I break off the yellow foam I am not going to be able to get at the motor.

Is it possible to get the motor going again if, say, it's just a problem with a dirty commutator ring/old grease etc? Or could it be one of the limit microswitches? There's no sound from it at all.

Anyone had any experience of fixing a Vit's electric sunroof motor?

All suggestions/contributions appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance for reading this and for your help.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 14:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

WESTINI

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, since nobody is commenting I will try and help you out - but what I tell you is what you already suspect. The same thing happened with my "other" car, not the VIT - it turned out to be the motor - if it isnt making any sound, i.e any high pitch whine, then I suspect there is no power getting to it - hard decision is to remove all the foam / roof lining and electrical test the wires, they may have simply come loose? perhaps the motor is buggered  - simple voltage test on the wires will tell you if its power or the motor..
piemanpete

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks WESTINI - I am sure you're right.

As the car isn't that far away from end of life - it's got the wire worm in a few places as well - most people would probably say - well, you will just have to live without the sunroof and they are probably right. It just annoys me that I've hardly used it and it was working quite recently, now it's not.

It's not as if I tried using it, there was an awful noise, graunching of gears and it ground to a halt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: