2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

advice and pointers before buying please? what to avoid...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> New Member introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoguePlank

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:09    Post subject: advice and pointers before buying please? what to avoid... Reply with quote

HI ALL!!

well i had already typed this up once but the anti-spammer filter kindly deleted it all for me as it had a couple of website's in.

second-attempt at first post, hopefully not my last!

anyway!

my dad and brothers have been trying to talk me into getting an off-road enduro/scrambler/trials bike for ages cos they all go out off-roading quite often as there are lots of tracks round where i live.
but i just dont like motorbikes, dont like the idea of something that heavy that falls over onto your legs if you stop moving.

ive been modding street cars for ages and am fairly mechanically-capable- been working at Halfords as a vehicle-electronics fitter for over 5 years so i can service my own car etc and do big jobs if ive got a haynes manual. electronics and wiring is my real skill- done everything electronic that you can think of to my mk4 Golf, hence masters degree in electronic engineering.

i used to go down hills very fast doing Mountainboarding until i snapped a few ligaments in my knee, so that put a cork in that.

so now i wanna join the rest of my family but in a more safe way-

so here i am!

i nearly bought an off-road stylie Vitara on ebay about an hour just on impulse for about £500 but stopped at the last minute because i just did not know what i might be getting myself into- i know nothing mechanical about Vitaras, apart what i can expect of general build-quality as im used to taking the interiors apart to fit alarms, sound systems, etc. so i need you guys to help me out in figuring out what i should avoid and what i should look for! im looking for somethign which has already had all the major off-road mods done to it, such as rasied suspsenion and big wheels, etc. something that i can work on, but is fairly ready to go straight away. this vehicle is going to be  Twisted Evil PUNISHED Twisted Evil  so im only looking to spend around the £500 mark. i know that isnt a lot, but there are actually quite a few going on ebay which i think are what im looking for...

• what sort of models should be avoided?
  • what are the common weak points? starter motor and head gasket seem common?
  • what mods are fairly essential for it to work as an off-roader? big tyres + raised suspension? rock sliders (not quite sure what these are)? bull bars? moving exhaust and fuel tank about? snorkel?
  • what mods cant be done if i want it to be road legal? i need to be able to drive this on the road from house to track and back.
  • im not scared of grinding and spraying and even a bit of welding, but where is rust reallly dangerous on Vitaras?
  • waterproofing?
  • body trimming?

they are the main things i can think of right now just to get me started and stop me making any stupid decisions, this is gonna be a summer project after my exams are finished end of june i think...

thanks in advance for all the help guys, hopefully i can repay the favour in future!!#

cheers, Arron Very Happy

Last edited by RoguePlank on Fri May 20, 2011 10:55; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RoguePlank

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, where is best place to look for off-road modified Suzuki's?? the classified section on this site is empty....
popuptoaster

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wont get a fully prepped one for 500 quid, the tyres alone are usually getting on for £100 each, main thing to watch out for with these is RUST.

Mines currently on ebay with no reserve.

Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not leavin us are ya Toastie? Crying or Very sad
2old2tired2scared
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant help with the shopping RP but I notice you are a mountainboarder,
check out Bugsboarding...........a bit far from you but a great crew, wicked
course & good camping Very Happy
RoguePlank

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

been bugs several times actually
RoguePlank

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

popuptoaster wrote:
You wont get a fully prepped one for 500 quid

i may have to prove you wrong in approximately 24 hours, or as long as it takes me to find a flatbed truck or vehicle-trailer to borrow  Wink

*watch this space*  Very Happy
2old2tired2scared
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watchin Space  Shocked  Shocked  Very Happy
RoguePlank

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep watching lol, fetching zook and tyres tomoro (wednesday) evening  Very Happy
RoguePlank

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

the zook is mine for the princely sum of £461 and the wheels, which are almost new Insa-Turbo Saharas on suzuki rims, were £150.

going to be a lot of fun me-thinks.... Very Happy
2old2tired2scared
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Yes Indeedy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> New Member introductions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: