4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

1995 Vitara 1.6 16v Cambelt change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
momobruff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 22:45    Post subject: 1995 Vitara 1.6 16v Cambelt change Reply with quote

Hi just purchased a 5 door M reg 1.6 16v have already serviced it and am doing cambelt weekend, bought the kit, just wanted to ask if there are any querky things I should know or straightforward.  I.e. special tools I have the timing (5 deg BTDC). New to Suzuki, or any 4x4 for that matter but love the simplicity of it - guessing the cambelt is no hassle but your experience is appreciated in any case.  Cheers.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 22:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

zocko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy way to change the belt if youre unsure....

first with the engine OFF split the old belt lengthwise and take the outer half off

next, gently slide the new belt onto the pulleys. this will preserve the timing

next, cut off the rest of the old belt and gently slide the new belt all the way on

mark up the edge of the new belt and 1 tooth on each of the top and bottom pulleys with tippex so you preserve the timing positions.

gently release the old tensioner and change it.

put the new tensioner on to the correct tension and check you still have the marks all lined up.

voila, an easy cam belt change with minimum risk of losing timing or putting the belt on in the wrong place

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
SWeed2k1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

first thing i always do is mark all the pulleys to the engine with tip-ex that way you know it anything has moved
momobruff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, would never have thought of that! Will try that for starters thanks for the advice, will check in if I get stuck in the mud!   Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: