Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Help in switching to 4WD please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p71p

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:57    Post subject: Help in switching to 4WD please Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have had my 94 1.6 JLX SE, LWB for around 7 months. I have never owned a 4X4 before and i have never, until yesterday switched to 4WD.

Due to the weather and needing to go out i got in my vit and before starting it, pushed the lever up to 4WD, wheni started it up the 4WD light came on and it drove faultless. Whilst leaving the petrol station i was nearly at full lock to turn a corner and it would not move. It was in gear but felt like it was out, when i straightened the wheels slightly, it was fine.

What is the correct procedure for switching to 4WD, back to 2 etc? Engine on or off? Not sure if i have locking hubs or not, how would i know? I think the lever shows 2H, 4H, N, 2L, 4L.

Sorry guys but 4X4 is new to me and don't want to be doing it wrong so to knacker it up. Any info would be much appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

p71p

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction, it has 2H, 4H, N, 4L. Also should the car be stationary when switching?
Jonny boy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your owner manual will tell you the exact procedure for changing 2wd to 4wd.  I change into 4wd stationary or at very slow speed or it just crunches in.  Changing out I can do at resonable speed.  I have to lock my hubs though.  If you look in the centre of you front wheels there's a dial that changes from 'Free' to 'Lock'.  You can drive about with them locked but it will increase wear and fuel consumption a little bit.  I'm not sure why it wouldn't drive on full lock.  Have a scan down the forum, there's loads of posts and photos.

Cheers

Jonny boy
richymon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do not need to turn the engine off to change into 4x4 mode.i do however come to stand before i change.do not use in 4x4 mode on smooth paved surfaces this will wind up the transmission.in 4wd you need bumps holes uneven surfaces etc so the transmission does not get wound up.if atuo hubs reverse back 5 feet after you have finished with 4x4 mode.mannual move switch back on hubs.this will get you back to 2wd only.
richymon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do not need to turn the engine off to change into 4x4 mode.i do however come to stand before i change.do not use in 4x4 mode on smooth paved surfaces this will wind up the transmission.in 4wd you need bumps holes uneven surfaces etc so the transmission does not get wound up.if auto hubs reverse back 5 feet after you have finished with 4x4 mode.mannual move switch back on hubs.this will get you back to 2wd only.
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 20:18    Post subject: full lock Reply with quote

I have the same trouble with my swb Vit it also feels "heavy and slower" when reversing on full lock and when going forward. Its because the 4wd is engaged. I have freewheel hubs on mine now. Think its just a torsion thing between front axel and the drive shaft angles, mine has been lifted 2 inches on the suspension this wont help the angles  Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: