4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Samurai NEWB with electrical ????????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 0:55    Post subject: Samurai NEWB with electrical ???????? Reply with quote

Hi all I just bought an 88 Samurai from a friend of the family.  GREAT little runner in the daytime.

As soon as the head lights get turned on, they dim, blonk on and off, and when I engage the clutch...the whole derned thing stalls.

Like I said, in the daylight the little *beep* runs and runs and runs.

I have looked all over for loose wires and all I found was a loose and disconnected vaccuum hose.

UGH.  There is a gremlin in there somewhere.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Snowman
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 0:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Keefe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Err....Battery, alternator had it?

Keith Smile
Snowman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keefe wrote:
Hi,

Err....Battery, alternator had it?

Keith Smile

Negative on that...they seem to be fine.  I am scratching my head and cursing at the gremlins.  I know a 22 year old vehicle of any description will have it's little issues...this is one I have never run into.

But...who knows?  I was thinking that it may be something that "happens" to Samurais, and folks in the know have heard of it.
neilio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 16:15    Post subject: Dim lights and then stalls Reply with quote

As above, I would have put it down to the battery and/or alternator.  

Check (again?) that the battery is accepting at least 13 to 14 volts from the alternator with the engine running (volt meter connected between the two battery terminals - not teaching you to suck eggs, I hope). If lower than 13v, remove the alternator's bushes and give them a quick clean (or replace if worn) and clean the electrical terminal block.

Failing that, perhaps try cleaning at the earth points for each main head light, located on the head light stays in the engine compartment.

Good luck.
zocko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you replaced the vacuum hose?

if not, its prob your slow running system not operating.

it stops the engine stalling by increasing the idle speed when the engine is under load ie lights on etc

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: