Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

tow bar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Vitara modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark960

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 21:54    Post subject: tow bar Reply with quote

Can any one suggest a cheap supplier of new or s/h tow bars that will fit on my old 1999 Vitara?  Alternatively I can weld so any one have the dimensions of what needs fabricating?  I can pop to a local steel fabricator and buy  some off cuts or angle with out too much trouble.

Looking at the Vit it looks like I need a plate about 20" with 4 holes in and a bracket to bolt a tow bar too, is it realy that easy? also any tips on wiring gladly recieved.

Hopefully this one will be easier to answer than my last query about where to get a roof rack, which go zero replies!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 21:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tallbike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roof racks for your Vitara are like rocking horse s***!!! Incredibly rare! Consider either fabricating your own or waiting for that chance on the Bay.

Towbars... The bay is your best port of call, got myself a Tow-sure towbar for mine at about £90 with electrics supplied. The bad news that I discovered at my peril is the 4 captive nuts mounted at the back of the chassis rails.... mine snapped off while trying to screw in 2 of them resulting in getting longer bolts and drilling through the chassis to affix the towbar. Something to think about when buying a self-fit towbar. Still reckon its cheap enough not to consider building your own.

Hope this helps!  Very Happy
31" MT tyres
Matching trailer being built from a 5 door Vit, watch this space!
Mark960

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that, RE roof racks, thats what I thought after trying for a couple of weeks without any luck, BUT LARKSPEED in Leeds stock a make called CRUZ, brand new delivered £76! No worries.

Have given up on Ebay, too many bad experiences, either Ive sold stuff and can prove delivery and still loose money or bought stuff which either never arrived or isnt as advertised, so I guess I'll just have to keep scouring the breakers yards my self!

I have an identical Vit as you by the way! Green 4u JX, when I initially read your post I thought you where describing mine!  Spooky!
I keep meaning to do loads with mine, just dont get the time, FIRST JOB will be to remove the pink stickers though.

I am still toying with the idea of giving the windows a slight black tint and re-spraying the silver plastic black, what do you think?
Tallbike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already tinted the rear quarter windows in lino tint and the rear window in dark tint, looks the bomb!  Very Happy  Relocated number plate to under rear door handle and added square number plate. Added CB antenna through the hinge side of the back door, currently without rear wheel carrier. Also moved towing electrics to the safety of the number plate recess on the rear bumper. Just in the last week I've added some new vinyls to the car, I removed the pink 4U2 stickers within a day of buying it!!  Laughing

Since then I've just been catching up on the servicing and maintainance the previous owner has neglected to do. Brakes are the next job on the list, all bought and waiting to be fitted. Just changed out my freewheel manual hubs as mine were proper FUBAR!  Rolling Eyes

Been busy these last few months, all the expensive modifications are kicking off in the new year starting with either a suspension lift or body lift, haven't decided which to do first! Confused
31" MT tyres
Tallbike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larkspeed Roof Bars for £76?? Just thought I would have a butchers myself and quoting directly from the webpage.....
"These Automaxi Telescopic Steel Roof Bars are designed specifically for cars that have roof rails down either side of the roof.......

.... These bars are pre-assembled and take about 5 minutes to fit. The price you see includes 2 Telescopic Roof Bars, Locks, VAT and all necessary fixings - no hidden extras.....

Features
These bars are for vehicles with roof rails down either side of the roof. Bars fix between these roof rails."

I fear you don't have the roof rails ready to receive these roof bars.... I'd be worried as I fear you're buying something you don't yet need!! Shocked
31" MT tyres
Mark960

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your looking at the wrong ones!

They do supply a roof rack for our Vit cos Ive got one! part number 922009 £66 plus £10 delivery

fits inside the rubber roof strip then hooks under the door/window sill.

I had to contact them and discuss it as on all the web sites I looked as (must have been atleast 30) it seems the only ones quoted are for roof railed cars or Grand Vitaras.

The tints sound good maybe look into that after sorting my tow bar.

On yours do the electrics just scotch lock onto existing wiring or did you have to fit some sort of relay?  looking into this its all a bit confusing.

My next job has got to be a new timing belt as the old girl now has 81k on the clock, then got to strip out and clean the cooling system as the internal heater doesnt kick out much warmth, then the towbar ready for the spring.

Then maybe take the pink stickers off!
Tallbike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

The towbar wiring just 'scotched'(?) on the existing wiring behind the right hand cluster, pretty easy with the correct set of distructions or wiring diagram off Google images. I'll post pics of the updated look of my car when I can be bothered! Lol!  Laughing
31" MT tyres
Tallbike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how did you get on Mark?
31" MT tyres
Atross1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:32    Post subject: Towbars Reply with quote

An old thread but some advice.I fit towbars six days a week.Before you dream of trying to fit a towbar clean the threads on the captive nuts in the chassis.it's a 10X1.25 metric thread from memory,it's been a long time since I fitted a bar to a Vitara thankfully.Usually the treads are very rusty.If it's not 10X1.25 it will be 12X1.25.look at the bolts that come with the bar and you will know if they are 10's or 12's.Don't tighten anything until all has been fitted.DON'T use scotchblocks.Solder and insulate the connections.Vitaras up to 2010 don't need a bypass relay just wire straight in to the loom.Remember to take the fog wire(blue) from you wiring socket to the right hand side.The colours from the light socket are
Yellow R/H Indicator
Green L/H Indicator
Red  Brake
Blue Fog
White Ground (Earth)
Black L/H Side Light
Brown R/H Sidelight.

Torgue all the bolts with a torque wrench if you have no sense of feeling when enough is enough.
Some e bay towbars are just rubbish and need modified to fit properly.Buy a well known brand to ensure it's approved and will fit without modifications.If you have a towbar question I am happy to answer.I am a newbie to the forum.

I hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Vitara modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: