2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

I bought an '89 JDM 550 Turbo Jimny

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> New Member introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruckman101

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:26    Post subject: I bought an '89 JDM 550 Turbo Jimny Reply with quote

And it wasn't the healthiest. Which is why I am here.

I accepted a job assuring my employers that obtaining the appropriate vehicle, since part of the job description was using my own vehicle, wouldn't be an issue. I had one lined up, but it hadn't come through and I could wait no longer, so picked up the Jimny. When push came to shove, driven as bought, she wasn't up to the task, the engine seized, but spun the next morning. A compression test found none in cylinder #3.

So that's why I'm here. Rebuild or replace? Do bigger engines fit?

On a personal note, I've run air-cooled VWs as daily drivers for a decade or so, working on them myself. Similar forums for air-cooled VW enthusiasts have proven to be an invaluable resource for me in those efforts.

I'm looking forward to winnowing the wisdom here in hopes of finding answers to my many questions.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dirtfriendly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 17:04    Post subject: Re: I bought an '89 JDM 550 Turbo Jimny Reply with quote

ruckman101 wrote:
And it wasn't the healthiest. Which is why I am here.

I accepted a job assuring my employers that obtaining the appropriate vehicle, since part of the job description was using my own vehicle, wouldn't be an issue. I had one lined up, but it hadn't come through and I could wait no longer, so picked up the Jimny. When push came to shove, driven as bought, she wasn't up to the task, the engine seized, but spun the next morning. A compression test found none in cylinder #3.

So that's why I'm here. Rebuild or replace? Do bigger engines fit?

On a personal note, I've run air-cooled VWs as daily drivers for a decade or so, working on them myself. Similar forums for air-cooled VW enthusiasts have proven to be an invaluable resource for me in those efforts.

I'm looking forward to winnowing the wisdom here in hopes of finding answers to my many questions.

new jimny engine? 1.3 twincam or rebuild one with aftermarket turbos or the old suzuki swift gti mods? considering your location might be a highland Smile
but hey it all comes to your budget though.
i think i saw one picture of those jdm jimnys in a phillipino 4x4 website but theirs were 800ccs
here in borneo sj410s that go offroad will be mainly swapped with toyota 2c diesel engines some even have the prado 1kz engine but it mainly also requires the hood to be modified.
its easy because the suzuki transfer case is not mated to the the transmission case.
good luck Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> New Member introductions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: