All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New to Suzuki, not to 4wding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> New Member introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwivit

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:15    Post subject: New to Suzuki, not to 4wding Reply with quote

Hey all,

I've been 4wding with my dad and family since I was a kid, mostly to get to various hunting and fishing spots here in NZ. Last year I got my first car, a 2002 Subaru Forester. Had some good times in it with raised King springs and Bridgestone D697s, but unfortunately I got hit by a Hilux on Saturday.
(I was going to post some pics but your anti-spam bot decided I might hack you all  Rolling Eyes )
So the Forester is no longer. Wasn't my fault, I was coming around a blind uphill right-hander when a guy came around the inside in a Hilux, locked up, slid sideways and hit me.

I like how the Forester drives onroad, being monocoque with fully independent suspension, but offroad the carp dual-range (1.19:1), small tyres (27"), lack of articulation causing diagonal wheelspin and awful approach/departure angles really let it down.
So I feel the 2008-on Suzuki Grand Vitara would be a good compromise - nice 2:1 reduction, good approach/departure and traction control + a locking centre diff and decent rear LSD. Plus a much more reliable engine (the head gaskets on the Forester are going).

Few questions:
- Mechanically, is there anything major that goes wrong with the 2.4 L petrol manual ones?
- Spare tyre - does it have to be the same circumference as the rest to avoid frying differentials (like a Subaru)?
- PCD is 5x114.3 correct? What's the standard offset?
- Kumho KL71 in 225/75r16 - good decision for dedicated 4x4 tyres?
- King springs - recommend/ avoid? Pros/cons?
- Skid plates - how to make/ buy for cheap (my Forester has a factory Subaru plate off an old Leone, cost me $10)...
- Engine electrics/ air intake/ ELECTRIC TRANSFER CASE SWITCH - vulnerable to river crossings/ location?

I think that'll do for now  Surprised
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> New Member introductions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: