All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Throttle position sensor for a 2001 Grand Vitara 1.6 GV1600

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vindec

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 19:36    Post subject: Throttle position sensor for a 2001 Grand Vitara 1.6 GV1600 Reply with quote

Hi
I want a secondhand or directions to a new reasonably priced Throttle position sensor for a 2001 Grand Vitara 1.6 GV1600.
My 2001 GV1600 is sluggish and looses power but not when its cold and not always, sometimes it seems better than others.  
When I ran diagnostics on the engine management fault recording, it came up with a failure "P0120 Throttle / pedal position sensor/switch A CIRCUIT"
Does anyone know what the "A Circuit" bit of the failure message means?

It also came up with "P0400 Exhaust gas recirculation flow" although i dont think this will affect the performance much.
I've pulled off most hoses and can't see a build up of tar or sludge.

I also tested the throttle position sensor itself with a volt meter and as I opened the throttle the volts went up smoothly from 0.7 to 4.2 volts with the throttle wide open. It then came down smoothly as I shut the throttle.
According to the online video for testiing the throttle position sensor that is about right.

OR does anyone know better?  

Thanks for looking.
Simon
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 19:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

denbo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a classic code read error. the clue is in the description " circuit" not the switch. The egr may have some bearing on this. If its faulty or sticking it may drag the 5v ref from the tps. Disconnect the egr, clear the fault codes. Run the engine and see if the tps error comes back. You will of course have a egr fault. You could be looking at the effect not the cause. And to answer the other question, yes the egr will have a adverse effect on the running of the engine for sure. Deal with the egr first. A good clean may be all it needs. See how you go.
denbo
Vindec

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 13:49    Post subject: Thottle Position Sensor Reply with quote

Hi Denbo
I am greatful for your advice sounds like you've been here lots of times before.
Ok so many switches and sensors where is in EGR positioned on the engine?

Will brake cleaner clean it or petrol maybe?
Thanks again for this.
Simon
Vindec

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 18:01    Post subject: Thottle position sensor / EGR ? Reply with quote

Hi Denbo
Disregard my previous posty I've found the EGR valve.

Ran diagnostics again before starting on EGR, and there were still 2 codes showing. But! this time both were about EGR and Exhaust gases. Nothing mentioned about the throttle position sensor. I cleared down the codes after the last time I looked at the throttle position sensor. So could disturbing the TPS have made a better connection or something like that?

Next I located the EGR valve, removed it, used fine emry, blew out, Brake cleanered it and refitted the EGR. It looked fairly clean, no tar. just a bit dusty with soot residue. The sprung loaded plunger moved freely without too much of a sudden "let go" as it started to move which i thought it might if it was starting to stick shut. Not sure how strong the solenoid is but guessed it wouldn't take much pressure to open the valve.  Didn't test the solenoid.

Ran the car up the road (5 miles) with EGR disconnected as you suggested. Ran diagnostics and there was only the one error code relating to EGR valve as expected. I think the car did accelerate a bit better.  Before the car started to accelerate, but beyond a certain point early in the travel of the pedal movement, the acceleralration flattened off regardless of how much you pressed the pedal.

Any how cleared down the codes, connected the EGR valve plug and revved engine a bit as it was still hot from the test run. Then ran diagnostics and it now shows NO ERRORS!

I'm hoping it has sorted the problem, just a bit concerned that just revving wasn't enough to complete the 'run cycle' for the EGR error logging, but got no petrol for a test run now so I'll check it tomoz on way to work.

Thanks for your advice. I'll update you if if still fails.
Cheers
Simon
DavidS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an ERG error. I sprayed carb cleaner into the chamber (only a small amount removed air intake pipe, opened butterfly ), let it do its work and evaporate a bit before resetting the error, reconnecting air intake and running the car.
Runs so much better and MPG has increased also.
Vindec

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 15:29    Post subject: Throttle Position sensor Reply with quote

Hi
Yep ran diagnostics again and still no errors so loking good so far.
Still think it might be a bit down on power but then it is a 1.6 and 15 years old. We'll see.
Cheers
Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: