4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

timing belt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 17:31    Post subject: timing belt Reply with quote

Anyone done the timing belt on a 2003 Grand Vitara 2,0 TD? I think it's fitted with the RHZ engine.. Either step by step text or a graphic type of thing would be great please. Thank you in anticipation..
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 17:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

denbo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could invest in a Haynes workshop manual. At a push get one for a pug or citroen 2.0 diesel, its their engine. Or download the suzuki workshop manual.
dennis
Jim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes indeed, never thought of the pug/Citroen engine manual. Haynes still do them for HDI? Managed to get a manual on disk. looks like I need all sorts of special tools!!! Modern engines! Don't you just love em??? Now found that cooling system is gassing up!!! Looks like the timing belt just morphed into a full blown head gasket job!!! Anyone done this??
denbo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done a few in pugs and citroens, not that bad to do. It should be easier in the vitara as you have more room to work. Think it took me about 5hrs off and back on if i remember. Get a quality gasket Payen, and new head bolts. Get the head checked for cracks and a skim. Check the water pump whilst its off, any doubt, change it!
denbo
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, much appreciated... According to manual all sorts of special tools are required and I have no wish to "invest" in these expensive items for a one off job... Have you done it without these? How did you check tension of belt without the tool? What about the tool for measuring piston protusion? This looks fairly important as iy seems you need this measurement to determine which gasket thickness is required etc...
denbo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get the head off, take it to the engineering shop with the old gasket. They usually have notches cut out of the gasket to identify it. The engineers will supply the new gasket. Buy a tension gauge or rent one from a local garage. Of course you could do what millions of other drivers do, TAKE IT TO A GARAGE AND PAY A PRO TO DO IT. A bit harsh, but if you get this wrong, it will destroy the engine.
denbo
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to a garage!!!! Took my wife's new Citroen to main dealer.... Crushed sills on one of those post lifts!!! Never again!!! Sorry, had to get that out of way.. OK, tension gauge.. Where do I get that? What about the tool for piston protrusion?? I'll bite the bullet and buy them, can probably use the tension gauge again.. I'm capable of doing job as I'm a marine engineer, just used to working on engines the size of 3 storey house... Better to work on as you can clamber all over them....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: