4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Manual Hubs... noise!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tallbike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:27    Post subject: Manual Hubs... noise! Reply with quote

I've only had the car a couple of weeks and this is the first Vitara I've had with manual hubs. After doing a bit of light green laning, just a couple of miles, I suspect the nearside hub is still engaged even though the hub is set to 'free' wheel. It seems to make a rapid clicking noise and increases with the road speed. Anyone had similar problems and perhaps solved them? I would have a butchers but I'm unsure what to look for or if anything was out of place!  Confused
31" MT tyres
Matching trailer being built from a 5 door Vit, watch this space!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tallbike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just by playing around with the outer switch I managed to free the nearside hub lock up a few weeks ago, even though the switch can't quite be turned by hand... pliers are required to get it from lock to free and vice versa.

Been green laning today on my way to work and switched back to 'free' for heading to work on tarmac and got it up to around 60mph and had quite a bit of vibration, telling me the nearside hub has not disengaged.

My question here is.... Is it possible to remove the hub, strip it back, clean it and re mount?? Or is it a one piece if its FUBAR, replace type thing?

I'm thinking it would do no harm to try and sort it out myself.... but I don't even know how these hubs actually work!!  Rolling Eyes
31" MT tyres
Tallbike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE - Ok, so I had a bit of time to take a look at my nearside hub. It fell apart like a knackered wind up clock when I took the plastic back off after removing it from the shaft. After working out how to put it back together, I have concluded that a previous owner has had this apart before as it seems it wasn't put together properly. Anyways, got it back together, regreased and in 'free' position, time will tell if I've sorted it or not. Jacked the other side up and found the offside hub appears engaged even in the 'free' position as the driveshaft turns when I turn the wheel (is that supposed to do that??)..... Grrr!! This tells me I have discovered just something else the previous owner has neglected to look after on the car....

May just end up getting replacement manual hubs off 'the Bay' as it might be easier than getting into something I don't know a great deal about.

Plot continues!  Mad
31" MT tyres
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: