Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Malfunction Indicator Light Trouble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Vitara Engine Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UKGRANDVITARA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 20:04    Post subject: Malfunction Indicator Light Trouble Reply with quote

Hi. Firstly I wish I said hi a few weeks ago after buying a 2000 model GV, second generation Petrol model vehicle which has covered just 71k with full Suzuki History, with bills and Im very very happy and proud to own it. Shes my baby!

But just a few hours ago coming home from work drove over a bumpy bridge and noticed I had the MIL light stay on. Now this could have been a coincidence going over this bridge but thought Id mention it anyway. The other thing I will mention is that on starting her up she idles at 1.5k for a few minutes then she comes down to 5-6k and ticks over perfectly.Is this normal - I thought this was for a GV.

Do you guys think any of the above are related to the MIL? If not, does my car have the right facility where I can read the fault code myself using the flashing MIL light to give the code?or codes? Where would the plug be in egine bay and what does it look like? Middle top pin too bottom left pin (are they colour coded) to save confusion if thats correct?

I would like to solve this myself If I can so If anyone can give me some help that would be great. Apologise if this post is in the wrong section also I did try looking through some posts but was getting blurred vision after reading so many lol.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 20:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

flookyk

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pick up a fault code scanner/ reader for under £30 these days on ebay.

The connector you plug this into is under the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel, looks a bit like a scart connector, if you get down in the drivers side from outside and look up under the dash next to the centre console.

Mine is a GV1600 (2001) and the light was on all the time, connected my dad's scanner and it picked up a faulty Oxygen sensor No 1, which I picked up a replacement for around £40 and fitted, reset the light and fixed it.

One thing to mention, is try resetting it first and see if it comes back on as they can sometimes flash up a fault in error.

You can reset it by using the scanner or disconnect your battery for around 10 minutes or so.
UKGRANDVITARA

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks flookyk, saw your post and others on different section. Found a plug under fuses when looking at engine bay its on the right just before the battery. Dont know if this is the right plug but anyway connected two contacts together as described on rhinopwer.org but had no luck getting light to blink, it just stayed on.
Just before doing that I had disconnected the battery for less than 10 mins and while waiting for time to slip by I was looking for this plug which I still hadnt found at this time. So when I found this plug I quickly reconnected the battery and then went through the procedure of looping out the plug with the test wire.
Started the car up later after giving up trying to get the code to show up and was surprised to find the MIL light had vanished and was not on!! Would have liked to know if I had found the right plug in the first place, but was surprised to discover that just the short period of time the battery was off had reset the ECU. Will still go hunting for the plug just incase its not the right one but need confirmation of this as somepeople have said I should have had the six pin not a four pin. So will update tomorrow now with more news when I have some. Think I will have to get a fault code reader anyway. Thanks again.
UKGRANDVITARA

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

No issue with light coming back so all is good chaps. Thanks for the help and advise you have all been great and friendly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Vitara Engine Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: