All Wheel Drive Club

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Gutless under 3000 rpm ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Jimny Engine Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
247sniper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 0:35    Post subject: Gutless under 3000 rpm ?? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm quite new to the world of Jimnys, I think they are great! The only thing I would question is that my 05 jimny with only 25000 mile on here seems to be very gutless in performance under 3000 rpm. Once she is reving away over 3000 rpm she moves along quite nicely.

Question is, do I have a fault with my Jimny or is this just simply a caractaristic of what they are all naturally like? I understand its only a 1.3 engine, I never bought it as a performance car , but with no experience with Jimnys thought I would ask the question, is this what they are like?

Hope someone can help me out with my question,

Atb guys

Steve.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 0:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Orangeherald
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my 05 jimny for about 4 months now. Bear in mind they are quite low geared and seem to be going quite quickly until you get among other traffic. They do not perform like racing cars! However they seem to get going a lot quicker with a few revs, should that be necessary. Being Japanese they are pretty reliable and will take the extra thrash within reason. I much enjoy the more relaxed pace of the back roads though and it suits the Jimny too. A narrow and tall car is not suited to racing about, and thats not the point of the Jimny. These are highly capable in difficult conditions and even in standard trim will cope with some pretty serious off road stuff. If you want to drive like you sat on a wasp then maybe the Jimny is not for you. If you want to drive pretty much anywhere, and with a big smile, then carry on!
247sniper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

Like I said in my first post, I don't expect it to be fast or like a racing car and understand that it performs best on back roads at leasure.  But it is gutless up to 3000 rpm, and just wanted someone to confirm that that is the norm.  As a example, near my house there is a  long stright road over a mile long, almost stright with a slight incline to it if you are going up it.  My Jimny won't go up it in 5th wont maintain a steady speed in 4th. I have to maintain approx 50mph in 3rd at around 4-4500 rpm.  If I then move into 4th (it then drops to around 3000rpm) at that speed the the jimny slows down and resulting in me having to drop it back into 3rd again.

I just want to know if this is normal, if it is then fine thats ok but if there is a fault in it, I would really like to know.  

Would help if I could compare it with another Jimny !

Can anyone help please ?

Steve.
Orangeherald
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you describe does not seem right. Mine will hold its own in 5th up a quite steep hill soon after starting off from home and will pick up speed in 4th. This at 30mph. Leaving town it will go smoothly up through the gears on the level, without any problems. This area is not known for many hills, but gets plenty of wind. It has no effect on acceleration, but is noticable due to the non aerodynamic shape of the Jimny. It needs a few more revs to keep up with fast moving traffic but what you are describing is not familiar to me.

Investigating will doubtless turn up the answer, and hopefully you either have a vehicle still under guarantee or you can do a bit of work yourself. I would suspect blocked air filter, or conversely missing or split air filter. Are the brakes releasing properly, and especially, does the handbrake come off properly? Try pushing it along out of gear. It could be insufficient fuel supply, dirty injectors  or blocked fuel filter. If the spark plugs are original they could need replacing  and a host of other possibles. Is it under guarantee? If so go and have a moan about it. Has it been recently serviced? Its not unknown for a garage to put in the wrong grade of plugs. They did in mine!

Let us know how you get on!
Dave.
2old2tired2scared
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had my Jimny a while now, the only time she might feel as gutless as you describe is if she's fully loaded with big folks
then she has a bit of trouble. Otherwise she will pull up our 1in4 hill as well as anything else. By big folks am talking 2xten stone plus 2xfifteen stone.
Over 3000 revs to get over 55mph on the open road but nippy as you like in the lanes (her natural habitat) between 2&3000 revs.
Please make allowances for the reply in "girl", I cant really speak "bloke"!
Unless you weigh about 30stone, I dont think the performance you are getting is standard  Confused
zocko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

2old2tired2scared wrote:

Please make allowances for the reply in "girl", I cant really speak "bloke"

yes you do.....

repaeat after me:

"meat pie, beer, petrol, rugby"

there you go, youre now fluent in bloke lol

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
Orangeherald
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now performed extensive research into this subject! Ok, I watched what happened when I drove to work...

My Jimny (early 2005 pre-VVT engine) Pulls strongly from any revs above about 1500 in the lower gears. Like most cars, its not happy being slogged at low revs in the higher gears, so changing down to raise the revs to above 2000 before accelerating is usual. That seems to be the point from which it will pull strongly in the higher gears on the flat, 2000rpm. On a slope then as expected more throttle is required and 2000 revs is minimum for a swift response. The only time I ever use revs above 3500 is when travelling at higher speed on motorway or major road. There is a limit to what a small 80hp engine will do, but with the low gearing of a Jimny they can be reasonably nippy, so yours does sound to have some kind of a problem.

A couple of points, one of the many things I had to correct when I got my Jimny was a lot of slack in the throttle cable. Check that the cable is correctly adjusted, it does make the driving experience a lot better! There are a lot of sensors on a modern engine and many of them can spoil the performance. Out of interest, whats the mpg like on yours? Mine does between 35 and 40 mpg average. If yours is well off it may indicate a sensor being duff or something like a stuck egr valve.

Dave.
2old2tired2scared
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

meat pie  beer  petrol  rugby

I also learned recently....."Leyland 486" and
                                    "where's my keys"

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
2old2tired2scared
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now dont laugh but is your clutch ok?  Embarassed
247sniper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes matey, my clutch is fine  Very Happy  

Steve.
247sniper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a MPG check last night, it's averaging 27.MPG , but that has been a lot of short runs, I mean two mile gernies several times throughout the day, all on cold engines.  Also there has been a lot of idling going on as lots of stationary going on.  I'm going try this week to see if the mpg goes up with better running conditions, ie, no warm up idleing, extensive idleing and see what my return is?

What tyres have you got on yours Dave?

Steve.
Orangeherald
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a lot of short journeys thats not outrageous, 27mpg. I do very few short journeys and my drive to work is 30 miles, across country so mostly between 45 and 55 mph. When I first got mine it had been standing a while, and it was doing average 25mpg. I have fully serviced it and it runs much better now as all cars do for being used every day. I have the same tyres Suzuki fit, Bridgestone Dueller. The originals were on it when I got it, still nearly 5mm of tread (37000 miles) but cracking with age! They are at the pressures recommended on the sticker on the car and behave well. Is your exhaust the original? If its been replaced recently thats one thing, but if its on an older replacement it indicates the car has done a great many short journeys. If you have non original tyres then that may indicate something else, the Bridgestones are long lasting.

I would guess your Jimny will benefit from some longer runs.  I had troubles like you described on another car when the pipe fell off the MAP sensor. It ran badly at low revs and only worked well at high revs. I soon found the problem in that case though - it was my fault not having put it on properly after changing the gearbox.

Dave.
lluke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

throtle cable?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Jimny Engine Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: