2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Newbie question - SJ tyres...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Wheels / tyres / brakes / steering / suspension / chassis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zerogee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 13:44    Post subject: Newbie question - SJ tyres...? Reply with quote

Hi all, just joined the forum yesterday (posted in New Member section), having just come back to Suzukis after 6 years away from the brand.
Between 1987 and 2005 I owned (sequentially, not all together!) three SJ410s, two SJ413s and two Jimnys. Then a need for a bigger vehicle pushed me to trade in my second Jimny for a Navara. Now I'm back, having just bought (via evilBay) a remarkably good condition 1994 Samurai Sport, which is currently 100% stock - I plan to keep it that way, except for some nicer wheels and tyres, hence the post in this section.
The SJ presently has stock steels shod with 205/70R15 Bridgestones - they are OK with plenty of life left, but I have a deep distrust and dislike of Bridgestones having had them from new on my Navara, where they were frankly cr*p - the slightest dampness would have the thing all over the road, and they wore down in less than 20,000 miles. So, the Navara soon got a set of BFGoodrich all-terrains, which were wonderful, and still looked like new when I sold the truck with 75,000 on it. I've used the BFG ATs on several vehicles in the past (including at least two of my old SJs), and I've found them to be really excellent both on and off road.

So, a few basic questions from this born-again SJ-er - I want to put a set of BFG ATs on the Samurai, but with the absolute minimum of other modification (preferably none at all). They will be mainly for on-road use, especially in bad conditions, with a little bit of light off-road play sometimes. The size I've been looking at online is the 215/75R15, either on the stock steels or on alloys if I can find a cheap set second-hand. Will that tyre size fit without any binding or rubbing, and without having to modify the bodywork or arches?  I know that the rolling diameter will be a little larger than what is on there at the moment, my back-of-*beep*-packet calculations suggest about 12% greater - will this screw the gearing up too badly?
Also, will alloys designed for Vitaras and/or Jimnys fit on an old SJ? I know the bolt spacing is the same, but what about wheel offset, would I need spacers?

Anyone who can help with a little bit of practical advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Jon.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 13:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Zerogee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, the forum bleeped something in my last post that was said in all innocence - I obviously should have said "cigarette packet" instead of trying to type "f*g packet".....   Wink

Jon.
neilio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Firstly, I ran 215R15 on my SJ with no modifications (with very slight rubbing in full lock); I don’t think you can go any higher. Secondly, Vitara steel wheels fit straight onto a SJ, so I assume alloys will too.

I hope this helps.
zocko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also use daihatsu alloys too

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
Zerogee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, chaps!

With other wheels like the suggested Diahatsu ones, I know the PCD fits, but what about clearances? Any particular types I should look for, or conversely avoid?

Thanks,

Jon.
zocko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the daihatsu and suzuki wheels have the same offset but be careful not to go too wide or youll find the tyres rubbing the springs on full lock.

decide what you like the look of and ask again, im sure someone will be able to answer your questions

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Wheels / tyres / brakes / steering / suspension / chassis All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: