2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Engine struggles when at full lock [4H low speed]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Vitara Gearbox / Transmission Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyler Durden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 18:01    Post subject: Engine struggles when at full lock [4H low speed] Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie around here, but hoping some of you people in the know might be able to shed some light on an issue I'm having with Tara, my recently acquired S-reg Vitara JX.

She's my only motor at the minute, and I'm hoping for her to be a bit of a project car too, once I can sae up some cash. Anyway, I'm rambling, I'll get to the point!

I have been driving the Vitara for over a week now and had no issues (all on road driving in 2H). I bought her about 3 months ago, and she sat on my drive until last week when I finally got her taxed and insured.

This evening I decided to try a little drive in 4H. No problems taking off in a straight line, but when it comes to cornering there is a major issue. At low speeds, if I go to full lock or quite near it, the engine feels under a lot of pressure and speed drops right down. The only way I can accurately describe it is that hesitant feeling when trying to drive with the handbrake still on! Almost to the point that you think you are going to stall! Anyway, it only occurs at low speed at full lock although I've not noticed it at low speed in 2H at full lock.

I had a bit of a google and some suggestions are pas pump issues, but I've not had any steering problems with it all week, so I'm not sure of this. The fact that it happens while in 4H gives me the impression it may be something to do with the front wheel drive(s). There is no grinding sound though of note, so not sure it is a cv joint issue either.

Also, while stationary with engine running, I can go from lock-to-lock with the steering and there is no unusual noises to report really.

I'm a bit of a newbie to the world of 4x4's too, so this one has me a bit stumped. Anybody have any ideas as to what it may be?

All opinions apprecated!  Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 18:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tyler Durden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, apologies if this thread is in the wrong section, but I really couldn't figure out which section to put it in to!
popuptoaster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cant use four wheel drive on a grippy surface as theres no centre diff, if the wheels cant slip then you'll break something in the transmission, its the driveline resisting the wheels turning at different speeds thats making the power steering pump work really hard and thats whats trying to stall the engine.

These are part time 4x4, 2wd ONLY on grippy surfaces.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, popuptoaster.  Very Happy

I did realise that fact in relation to axle wind-up...etc, but I didn't realise it would have such a pronounced affect.

I guess it's something I'll keep an eye on, and try not to make it happen again. But it sound's like it's nothing major to worry about so?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Vitara Gearbox / Transmission Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: