2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

A frame towing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
410stu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 14:27    Post subject: A frame towing Reply with quote

just got a sj410 hardtop that im doing up to try and mot, if not i want to tow it with A Frame and just use it for pay and play days. i want to tow it with my disco with one of them bolt on to Ur bumper Suzuki ones.

HOW SAFE ARE THEY ??? how best to tow with one ???
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 14:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

410stu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone like to comment ?????

anyone tow with A frames ????
rgm-master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to tow my old LJ (yes LJ80) on an A frame, just put both boxs in neutral and a light board on the back. Towed it all with a 2.8 Granada. Oh yes make sure the streering lock isn't on!!!!!
me and the wife

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did your a frame attatch Question
when i bought my sj it came with an a frame (i sold it) which bolted to the bumper of the sj (2 bolts either side) so the frame couldnt lift up or down the only movement was on the tow ball Exclamation
ideal_dog

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

me and the wife wrote:
how did your a frame attatch Question
when i bought my sj it came with an a frame (i sold it) which bolted to the bumper of the sj (2 bolts either side) so the frame couldnt lift up or down the only movement was on the tow ball Exclamation

They bolt solidly to the chassis / axle / wishbones / bumper (if it's like a winch bumper) etc. and the only movement is at the towball. Somehow they actually tow pretty good so long as you have it securely attached and your sterring lock off. The car you're towing just follows you, steering around corners by itself.
They're a bit of a *beep* to reverse as you have an additional steering axle (the front wheels) that will want to go the wrong way.

Also just as a note, I believe that they are illegal as the car effectively becomes a trailer, and trailers over 3/4 ton have to have all the wheels braked. The Suzuki weighs more than that and none of the wheels are braked when towing with an A-frame.
That said, I just towed mine back for over an hour without hardely even noticing it was there (apart from when it tried to escape  Shocked), and I passed several bizzies who never even glanced at me.
I suppose if the vehicle you're towing with is a fair amount heavier than the one you're towing, it will over power the the one you're towing if it starts misbehaving.

----------------------------------------------------------
My neighbors don't like my mud splattered Suzuki. Do I look bothered?
me and the wife

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy i often thought i wish i hadnt got rid of the a bar but after hearing your experiance im glad i did lol Shocked
zocko

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you can tow up to half the vehicles weight unbraked?

not certain tho

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
superzuk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

750KG un braked

unless flashing beacons are on   ie spec lift recovery trucks
robertbaby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have towed my sj on a a frame before i got rid of my hilux surf but i havne tried it yet with the audi
i didnt even notice it was there it just seems like some nob is right behind you tryin to pass
drayegon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:39    Post subject: '88 Sami goes for an EASY Ride. back of an A Frame! Reply with quote

I end up Towing my 1988 Samurai behind a 1998 Toy Taco. The Taco just ride nicer on a long haul. I probably tow  it at least 3500 miles every year. I use the Sami as a trailer to and from hunting camps. It is so far from the normal world that I usually fill it with another 50 gallons of gas and hardware to use around camp. It is so nice to slip it out of gear and just cinch the steering wheel down. I bought an A Frame from Harbor freight hook the ends to the springs to the ends of the tow bar and away I go. In ten years I have never had two minutes worth of trouble. I am going to slip a TOY V6 Auto and Front and rear Axles with lowered transfer case lowered front rear gears with 38s Not sure why all of this. I only have 80000 on the sami and 50 on the  toy running gear. I am unsure if I want to put coils under the toy or not. it is IFS.

dray
lincsuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pants Sad so I can't tow my lwb vit on an a frame legally behind something like and astra estate
Keefe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been reading on this subject and an A frame can only be used to tow a vehicle to a place of safety nearby and then recovered safely by other means.
You're not allowed to tow it home or to P&P sites etc.

To do with weights and brakes etc.

K  Smile
zocko

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

it all depends on the listed towing weight for the towing car and your license type but over 750kg has to be braked

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
popuptoaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a bit of a minefield using an A frame, technically they are for recovery only as a car on an A frame becomes a trailer but it cant meet the trailers brake regulations, ie equal braking force on all road wheels, people have been getting away with it for years in the UK, but plod come down on it hard in europe, it stuffed a lot of people towing cars behind camper vans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:20    Post subject: towing with and WO brakes Reply with quote

Just tell the powers that be the danged fellar musta done fell out the door. You can also tell em that he could not have been drunk as you had already snitched all the booze and finished off two quarts before they stopped you.

dray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Towing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: