2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

poor fuel economy on my vitara... any idea whys?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r1mmer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 23:38    Post subject: poor fuel economy on my vitara... any idea whys? Reply with quote

heyyy all,

Just got myself a 1995 vitara 1.6 16v jlx last week and its poor on petrol. in the last week, ive put about £70 worth of petrol in and only got about 85 miles at the most out of it. ive just changed the plugs and im going to change the air and fuel filter becuase its been abit spluttery. it feels abit flat but i dont know if thats just me or not, this is my first 4x4.

Any idea's what else could be the cause...?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 23:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

4gaz4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus!!  my impreza turbo was better than that on fuel, and i thought i had a hole in the tank lol
zocko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 mpg is good for a vitara so how do yo drive it cos that makes a massive difference?

ie does it have a really heavy loud pedal?

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
r1mmer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont drive it over 3, 4 thousand revs, i dont have a heavy right foot, always in rwd... how should i be driving her?
kinx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

evan mine will do 23 mpg i have evrything but a roll cage just shift around 2 n a half revs not 4 lol keep that for off road i do a service every year and watch the setting off and stoping steady away lol
r1mmer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally i would change about 2-3 thousand revs but shes runnin canny poor. shes stalling every time i stop, shes a bit spluttery and feels canny flat. she wants to go but doesnt. and then theres the fuel.... **** me but 7 or 8 mpg is beond me. i let her run down to nearly empty today n i put a gallon of petty in and after 6 miles she was nearly empty again. i was down the A1 last night and struggled to get 55mph, even with my foot flat she wasnt budging
kinx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok sumats wrong i get 70 out of mine whats it idle at ? should be round 1k mine is 900 once hot not sure what is up but u have a prob
r1mmer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

i deffo have a problem, but im not sure if it just needs a good service, or if sumit serious needs doin. sometimes it idles at about 900, sometimes its lower. Then again, sometimes it idles at 900, drops down to 500, then back up, and down again etc. Sometimes it shrudders (shakes) when idling. i think shes eating oil as well
kinx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i would start by cleaning carb out check that the throttle cable int to slack and give  fuel fillter a change same with oil n oil fillter some one on here might be able to help more i dont no as much like some on here but i just give everything a go  Shocked
r1mmer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been thinkin about doin air, fuel and oil filter, oil, ht leads and ive allready done the spark plugs. i didnt think about cleaning the carb or checkin the throttle cable so thanks alot for the advice mate, much appiciated =)
popuptoaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cant really complain about mpg if its not running right, anything that causes the engine to develop less power than it should will cause you to use more throttle to maintain the same speed so its bound to use extra fuel.
r1mmer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to let you know, the poor fuel economy was mainly down to the tyres having only 20psi in and the diff locks being on. after sortin these out she is way better on fuel. shes still missin a bit but thats because the plug leads are well and truely ****ed.

the leads look like the original ones, the old plugs were jet black, dizzy cap and rotar arm were filthy and the screws on the airbox have corroded badly so it looks like she hasnt been serviced in a long, long time. so far all i have changed is the rotar arm and plugs. carnt wait to do the leads, dizzy cap and full service. she shopuld be running mint afterwards
4gaz4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted, what with the fuel prices at the mo
r1mmer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mate. im gettin alot better milage, i got about 190 miles to 3/4 of a tank.... loads better than 8 or 9 mpg =D
4gaz4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, been using lots more in this snow being in 4 all the time lol
All the fun i'm having makes it ok tho  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: