2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2 and a half wheel drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 22:53    Post subject: 2 and a half wheel drive Reply with quote

Hi guys

I've been reading all the vitara transmition related problems and I'm not finding a match to mine.  If I jack all the wheels up off the ground and lock the front hubs and spin a wheel, the other side spins the other way and visa versa.  If then I engage 4 H or L both back wheels spin and you can stop one at a time (so the dif works), however only the front passenger side spins.  How can both front wheels spin manualy but when the engine runs only one spins?  What have I broken?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 22:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

popuptoaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried stopping the spinning one and seeing if the other one starts going?
Jonny boy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I didn't actually, how ever I thought the whole point of locking the hubs was because there was no front dif.  Even if there was a diff, there's no resistance so both wheels should still spin surely?  I'll try it and see what happens!

Cheers
popuptoaster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a front diff, the only purpose of locking hubs is to disconect the front wheels from the driveshafts to save a bit of fuel and wear and tear on the CV joints.
popuptoaster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

with an open diff sometimes just one turrs and sometimes they will go in opposite directions, it all depends if there is anything binding anywhere because as soon as one wheel is easier to turn than the other thats where the diff sends the torque.
Jonny boy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case there's deffinately something wrong with the diff as the front right wheel isn't getting any drive atall.  I find that quite odd having locking hubs if there's a diff there,  seen as that's the point of a diff.  Is it worth welding the front diff and use the locking hubs more?
popuptoaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have the wrong end of the stick, the locking hubs and the front diff do comletely different jobs, if you had a welded front diff you wouldnt be able to steer with the bubs locked, even in 2wd.
Jonny boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do realise that but atleast I'd have garanteed 3 wheel drive when I needed it.  Any ideas if I can nick a slipper off another model without putting the ratios out of sink.  I suppose a winch on the front would be the easiest answer!
popuptoaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few 4x4's have slippers in the front because of the effect they have on steering, somthing like an air or electrically operated locker is a better bet, they can lock up solid when you need them to but are open when you need to go round corners.
Jonny boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for that if it means less getting out of the cab!  Just need to find a compatable donor now.

Cheers for the help

Jonny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: