2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Potential newb ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Vitara Engine Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dely

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 18:33    Post subject: Potential newb ? Reply with quote

Hi been looking at vitaras now for too long so hoping to get one soon,but before I do I want some info
1Can they be gassed
2Where do they rust
3What are the common problems
4Are spares easy to get and what are the prices like
5What are they like offroad have they any difflocks or limited slip diffs
If I do get one it will be the soft top

Sorry for the questions  Smile

But after having a new Swift a couple of years ago bit concerned vitaras could be as bad Embarassed
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 18:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

zocko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you have to bear in mind is the age of the car youre gonna buy

lets go step by step:

1 yes they can
2 wheel arches and floor pan behind the seats (less common)
3 common probs are if theyve been offroaded before.... in standard form they arent as capable as an sj off road but are better on road. remember they are a road car with off road capabilities not the other way round.
4 most apares can be got but some parts are a little harder to get hold of
5 limited slip or diff locks were never offered as standard so are pretty rare. you can get air operated diff lock kits from the states but its a major piece of work to fit them

theres quite a few on here so maybe some of the owners would be able to give you a fair opinion of them?

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
goatboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a vitara too and I can't for the life of me find any sort of buyers guide or anything like that.
What i have gathered is Vitaras are pretty sturdy...

Some pointers I found elsewhere

Look out for rust! Sills, inner arches (especialy if its had the rubber arches on they hold water and rust), rear footwells, rear floor, etc are all common areas. Give it a really good prodding as my old one turned out to be far worse than it looked on first glance.

Head gaskets go and heads crack so check the engine over properly.

Check the gearbox, see that gear change is smooth on all gears, up and down. If fitted with freewheel hub, check they turn, unless auto hubs.

Check 4wd works OK, but it shouldn't really be driven any distance on the road, as 4wd is for offroad only.

check for previous off road abuse-front diff especialy (cracks ect.-its only alloy)
dely

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks zocko and goatboy it is typical as was offered a x reg for 875 with 12 months mot but I was away at the weekend and it was gone when I got back. Will keep learning and looking.
Rich

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 16:34    Post subject: rust spots Reply with quote

The two Vits I had went rusty where the seat belt mounts are front and rear. Check all the rear seat bolting points under the carpets (above the rear footwell) and look at where the centre catch point of the rear seats (the little dip in the back floor pan). The outer sills go because of the carppy plastic trim that is fitted, as the holes are drilled and not treated properly (easy to check those give them a squeeze and you may feel give , hear cracking, or, if its bad it will crumble.....knocks money off) Check the bottom of the inner wing where the mud collects front and rear....(end of the sills) thats where two of my vitaras went. I learnt to weld on my 1st Vit with an £80 welder and saved myself a small fortune which went on modifying  Cool
dely

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for help do any have ABS and do the 4u's have any benefits?
kinx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

abs is called hittin the curb  Razz mine seems to have lil rust at the mo wheal arch rear seat belt bolt n/s
its ok off road i would say not as good as the sj but keeps up with my mates 90 and its all down to wheals lift kit and other mods that help all depends what u intend to use it for road or offroad parts tend to be one to days wait as scrap yard dont tent to have any so its ebay or a new part price int to bad there a easy 4x4 to fix well i think thy are theres loads on here to help u out i got around 28mpg but now with my mods im lucky to hit 15-20mpg dont have loads of room but i take mine campin all time ant i get allsorts in it . as for the 4u ant a clue lol would be nice to own a hard top for summer any if you do plan to take it to playdays get a loan lol because u buy one mod then it never stops hope all this helps and it dont look to much like a load of carp  Laughing
Low Down And Dirty
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 15:38    Post subject: Re: Potential newb ? Reply with quote

dely wrote:
But after having a new Swift a couple of years ago bit concerned vitaras could be as bad Embarassed

Was it a new Swift ? my mate I just bought my Vit off has had Suzuki's all his life and recons the new Swift was a pile of carp, spent most of its life going back in for recalls, misses wouldn't drive it in the end, got shot and bought an A3 lost a fortune on the thing.
dely

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a brand new 1.3 ddis bloody thing had two steering racks which never fixed the problem steering locked up and took a lot of force (luck) to move again which was interesting (bloody scary) and a new alternator at 25k was very disappointed having been a suzuki (motorbike) fan for a long time Evil or Very Mad
Low Down And Dirty
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my mate had the rack problem, had the whole rear suspension changed twice, along with a whole host of other things.

His was one of the very first of the new ones, assuming they have sorted the things out now.
dely

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after all my questions I bought without seeing it  Shocked only yesterday looks ok so far will be having a proper look over it soon seems to have quite a bit of traction in 2 and 4 wd Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Suzuki Vitara Engine Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: