Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

suzuki vitara 4x4 front wheels not working

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
festertag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 22:22    Post subject: suzuki vitara 4x4 front wheels not working Reply with quote

When i put into 4 wheel drive the front wheel dont go around and i have tryed it with the dif lock on and off and in high and low gear
i have a v reg 1.6 petrol suzuki vitara swb
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 22:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

zocko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

im assuming you tried this with it jacked up?

if, was the prop shaft turning?

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
Armzs16

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i have the same problem, the last 2 days been using my vitara in the snow and evein in 4wd or low range it is still mostly if not completely rear wheel drive... The axles are definitly not locked together as the rear wheels always always spin up first. It is only just better to drive in the snow than a front wheel drive car to be honest.

I'm new to vitaras do dont have a clue about the 4wd system but i am a mitsubishi mechanic so nothing i cant sort myself really just need to know how things work etc Wink any help much apprechiated.
Armzs16

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say its a 1999 T plate 1.6 vitara JLX soft top.
popuptoaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no LSD at either end and no centre diff its still entirely possible to get no traction, you can have one rear and one front wheel spinning uselessly, if you take it really slow and add a little handbrake you might find the extra resistance on the spinning rear wheel will allow the one with traction to get some purchase and start you moving again, you can't do it for long or you knacker the brakes though.

If it really is getting no drive to the front and you havent looked underneath it might be worth checking that its actually got a front prop on it.

If your running road tyres on the snow then to be honest 4x4 isn't really that great an advantage, you get a tiny bit more traction, but are paying the price of more weight to get started or stopped, our 4x4 Madza pickup will drive past stuck cars even in 2wd just because its running AT tyres and they have a more open tread and some shoulder lugs to grip the snow with.
Armzs16

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a crawl underneath and yes all running gear and props etc are there and i know what you mean about there being no center diff etc, however would this not mean that all 4 wheels should rotate at once as theres no diff to allow separate movement of each wheel? Literally if you take it up the road give a sudden increase in power with slight steering lock one way or the other it oversteers and spins the easiest of the 2 rear wheels up. I'm yet to manage to spin either of the fronts at all. I'm wondering if its a vacuum related problem, either a solenoid not working, lack of vacuum in the tank or split pipe etc? But without knowing what does what i dont know where to start...
Armzs16

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres are Bridgestone dueler A/T. Mitsubishi l200's come with these as standard and i've driven these in the snow loads of times with no probs. One went flying past me this morning on a steep hill while i was struggling and slipping my way past 2 stuck front wheel drive cars. I think i only got up there because i was in low range but was literally spinning the rears up the whole time...
zocko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

vacuum pipe/solenoid?

theyre mechanical 4wd not pajero super select....

you need to physically check to see if you have 4wd or not.

btw, do you have manual or auto hubs?

festertag

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

manual hubs
Armzs16

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea on the hubs i only just bought the car a few weeks ago. I suspect a solenoid or pipe is to blame but i wouldnt know which ones do what on a vitara. I had a quick look for split pipes etc this morning but couldnt see any. However i pilled the smaller of the 2 pipes off the vacuum tank and there was no vacuum... Could be the solenoid that feeds that but i cant be sure. Its snowing a goodun outside so looking is not fun at the moment Sad but need to sort this out so i can get about! I only bought the vitara for times like this and its not paying off so far.
popuptoaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transfer case does not give you drive to all 4 wheels, it feeds power into the front and rear diffs, they decide where the power goes, without an LSD the power goes to the wheel that takes the least amount of tourqe to turn, so if a wheel has no traction it will spin, that can happen at both ends of the car and leave you with no drive, most Japanese 4x4 pickups have a standard LSD, this is because they are very light on the back often need the extra traction even in the wet.

I think you need to check your hubs are working, you should leave them locked in in this weather anyway so you can swop in and out of 4x4 as you need to while on the move. i would jack the front up, lock the hubs but leave th Vit in 2wd and try turning the front drive shafts and see if the wheels turn, our truck wants to oversteer all the time even in four wheel drive, cant say about the Vit as i'm still waiting for a part to get her running, it is possible that you may just need to adjust your driving style a little.

Low range probably wont help in the snow very much, the car should cope ok in high range 4x4 if your gentle with it, only time i ever use low range in the truck is to get up REALLY steep hills, getting aheavy trailer moving or somewhere tight where i need to go slow but keep moving, saves on slipping the clutch as you can let it crawl in gear at idle.
Armzs16

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Sorry for the idiocy here but i've never had manual locking hubs before, just been talking to a friend, about this, is there a handle or switch on the back of the hubs or something similar? dont no how to activate them! Definitely cant change between 2 and 4wd on the move just crunches.
zocko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

manual hubs have a dial in the middle of the wheel you need to turn to the lock position to engage them. you can then change into 4wd on the transfer box to engage the front axle.

as for moving while trying to get it into 4wd, next time you try it make sure you have a bucket and spade handy to pick up whats left of the transfer box  Shocked

popuptoaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

see that straight bit in the middle? you turn that to engage the hubs so that the wheels are connected to the drive shafts, the one in the pic is pointing at the word "free" it tunrs to the "locked" position to engage it, you should be able to swop in and out of 4 wheels drive while rolling slowly, the advice is to stop and put your normal gearbox into neutral befire engaging four wheels drive but i find you can stick the clutch down and swop in and out as long as your going very slowly, sometimes you dont want to stop miving in case you cant get going again.
Armzs16

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been out to the vitara, have locked the front hubs and its awesome in the snow! problem sorted thanks guys much apprechiated Very Happy
Pete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: