Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Bedford Rascal leaf springs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Wheels / tyres / brakes / steering / suspension / chassis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideal_dog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:10    Post subject: Bedford Rascal leaf springs Reply with quote

Hi everbody,

I'm new to the forum so I'm sorry if this has been covered a million times already.

I've just got my first SJ and it's a bit of a mess. I'm planning to fix it up for offroad fun at the weekends and use it to bomb about in during the week.
The leaf springs are completely flat and the car sits pretty low.
I've read a bit about mods you can do, but don't want to go mad. All I want is a decent ground clearance without making it unstable.

I was told that you can fit Bedford Rascal rear leaf springs to the front and back of an SJ and it will give it 2.5 to 3 inches of extra height.
I've got a brand new, full set of 2" lifting shackles and shock extensions but didn't really want to go down that route.
I've located 2 sets of rear leaf springs for a Rascal and they are only £100 for the lot.

Does anyone know for sure that these springs will fit and be any good before I part with my hard earned dosh to buy them?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Alan
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaiRees

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Alan,

Never done it myself but I know several people who have, my understanding is that the rascal springs are a direct swap for the rear SJ springs, but then you make a set of fronts up using your existing fronts and the reast you just took off. IIRC it's the top leaf from the front and all but the top leaf from the rears.

So you only need a pair of rascal springs... Hope that helps

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't you edit posts in this section!!!!! Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad

That word in the middle there should be "rears" Rolling Eyes  Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DaiRees,

Thanks very much for that info mate. I was going to buy the Rascal springs today, so that just saved me a few quid  Very Happy

I'll take pictures of the whole process and post it up on here as soon as I'm allowed to add pics and links.

Cheers

Alan
ideal_dog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

My spring changing is coming along.
I got all the springs off eventually. The Rascal springs are currently at a garage having the old bushes pressed out and new ones installed.
Whilst the Rascal springs are being done, I built the fronts up out of the Suzuki front & rear springs.

Getting the old springs off. It wasn't easy!!

The built up fronts.

----------------------------------------------------------
My neighbors don't like my mud splattered Suzuki. Do I look bothered?
me and the wife

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did u get those u bolts ?
ideal_dog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

me and the wife wrote:
where did u get those u bolts ?

Hi, I ordered them from Llama 4x4. The guy is really helpful and seems to know his stuff.

desired_affect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

so thats the rear leaf springs on the front and a set from a bedford rascal on the back, am i right in saying that???
ideal_dog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

desired_affect wrote:
so thats the rear leaf springs on the front and a set from a bedford rascal on the back, am i right in saying that???

Hello mate, welcome to the forum.

You're sort of correct, they are the rear Suzuki SJ springs fitted on the front but basically you have to take the spring pack apart and fit the leafs to the existing front spring pack. So your front leaf spring becomes 4 or 5 leafs thick (can't remember how many for defo) instead of 2 leafs thick.
You don't use the top, long leaf with the bushes from the rear, but the rest can be used.

Hope this all makes sense, just got up after a short sleep after a long tiring night-shift  sleepy1

desired_affect

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does this lift the car then??? The back should stay the same, but the front is lifted??
My car needs new shocks any way but will the front ones have to be updated for any lift that will be done because of this???
ideal_dog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will lift the car a couple of inches.

The Bedford Rascal van springs are heavier duty than the SJ ones so they'll hold their shape which will lift the back, and the front SJ springs which are normally quite flat will be boosted by the additional leafs added from the back spring pack, which will mean they too will have some curve to them which will lift the front.
You shouldn't need to change anything else except maybe the U-bolts on the front because with the additional leafs, you'll struggle to get the nuts on enough threads with the original ones.

me499

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

going back to your original post, if you havent taken your sj out yet or seen one in action i have recently bought my first and have been taking it out with standard lift (for now) and have been amazed at what they are truely capable of. great little toys Very Happy
ideal_dog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

me499 wrote:
going back to your original post, if you havent taken your sj out yet or seen one in action i have recently bought my first and have been taking it out with standard lift (for now) and have been amazed at what they are truely capable of. great little toys Very Happy

Yep they're pretty capable as standard.
Mine gets used all the time. We get all over the place off roading.

Since the posts above my SJ has had extensive modifications to the chassis, engine, drivetrain and body, it's a beast now and I love it.

Hope you have as much fun in yours as I do in mine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Wheels / tyres / brakes / steering / suspension / chassis All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: