4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Vitara JLX - The birth of Bruce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Projects & Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lourensbradley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 23:42    Post subject: Vitara JLX - The birth of Bruce Reply with quote

I have recently bought a white hard top Vitara, 10 former keepers last of which was a lady who appeared to like boiled sweets. After a brief viewing and no test drive the car was bought and brought back to live its first few days on my drive. Taxed and MOT'ed with the price where it was I couldnt say no. The weekend prior I managed to procure a set of off road tyres and rims... one of e-bays best deals to date, 3 colways and 2 carmacs.

So the work began, a close friend of mine has joined in on the project in exchange for some epic offroad fun. He is a qualified mechanic with an eye for detail... handy on a job like this. First thing we had to do was remove the factory fitted side decals, they did nothing but promote the hairdresser look of the car. So the hairdryer was broken out and the stickers removed, seeing as this was very easy we looked at the Vitara side stickers... yeah... they went after a brief discussion. Already a difference could be seen. Now knowing the car is to be used offroad didnt stop us from treating the paintwork to a healthy wash and polish... good old T-Cut worked its magic. our logic is this would help the car when the great cleaning process was to be undertaken after mud was applied.

We then moved onto checking the mechanics of the car, to make sure everything was working as it should, glad we did as we found the spark plug gaps were out. So connecting it all back up the way the manual described we fired it up... it kind of sounded like a bag of nails... it wasnt running right at all. Next step to make sure it wasnt gunk in the system of a lead that had failed was a test drive. So off we went... gutless... nothing there except noise, a quick drive down the motorway later and returned with plooms of smoke coming from the car. Turns out the cat had got a little warm and was smoking away... managed to burn the interior carpet through heat transfer. So it was back to the books... after Neil applied his mechanical know how the car ran smoother than ever, just as it should. Out of curiosity we removed the exhaust pipe and the cat to inspect for damage... everything was in tact, however the back box seems to have rotted away a little. Majority of the rust removed and back on it went.

Brakes... Not knowing how well maintained the car had been kept the brakes required overhauling. So methodically front to rear we stripped down the calipers and checked on the pads and discs. Pads were lipped on the outside, hopefully this was a design at the time. Ridge removed, parts serviced and back on they went. Rears were that good looking, we have a leaky cylinder and the pipes were well... they had seen far better days. Cylinders added to the shopping list on we went, cleaned and reassembled it was time for a basic service. Oil and filter changed... Bruce needed that, with the gunk that fell out of that sump... no wonder it sounded rough.

So I had to run off and sell my Rover, with a classic car already three just wasnt viable in the automotive count. The viewing and test drive took longer than expected, turned out to be a tyre kicker. So back I went to find Neil had removed the rear brake lines... ALL OF THEM. Upon my arrival I found them laid out on the garage floor with exact replicas in brand new copper nickle pipe, attachments already in place ready for refitment. Well it was clear i was making the drinks on that one. Drinks done and the pipes were replaced, fresh fluid introduced and they were done. Unfurtunately we didnt have enough piping to do the front.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 23:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

me and the wife

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love write ups like that, it brings a smile to my face Very Happy cant wait to see pics of bruce, never know when its all finished and leaving landrovers in the mud you can rename him bruce almighty Twisted Evil
lourensbradley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to put a picture up unfortunately do not know how. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
me and the wife

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to be a more active member firstly, then upload your pics to photobucket then copy the picture link and paste in here Very Happy
lourensbradley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sump guard on order, brakes done, welding schexiled for the weekend. Getting excited for Bruces first offroad adventure
lourensbradley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

After many hours slaving under the car its nearly ready for TOR.

So whats been done to date...
Brake lines, full rear assembly, lines from rear splitter to front
Welding... turned out to be a little more than previously anticipated, drivers side front wheel arch looked like swiss cheese, mountings for rear seat belts looked a little ropey... literally the metal crumbled when poked with a screw driver. So rear seats are out and never to be put back in, these are up for sale should anyone be interested in seats with belts.
So holes filled, seam welded and looking rough as anything. Need to grind these down a little to take the burrs off and treat the areas.
Sump guard has been fixed to the car replacing the anti roll bar. I have to say it changes the cornering abilities of the car somewhat. hah hah hah

So whats next, finish undersealing, paint the boot area, the off road wheels and tyres are fitted to the car and its looking smart. Ideally I would have liked to get a snorkel on the car but thats best done when funds are there so a proper job can be carried out. Best do it properly first time than have to fix it further down the line.
me and the wife

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good< cant wait for the pics Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Projects & Builds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: