Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear DIFF possible problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B1N9S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:26    Post subject: Rear DIFF possible problem Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I am about to install a replacement rear diff. I dont know if this is a faulty unit, BUT !!

When I turn the flange by hand, everything seems to work fine and turns smoothly, so I thought I may aswell make sure the splines line up ok with the shafts.

But once some resistance is placed on the splines, they dont turn !!! but the large spinion still turns OK. I would have thought it would all turn ??

Even finger pressure inside the diff on the splines stops them turning.

Is this normal, I dont want to spend my entire Saturday refitting everything to find it doesn't work !!!

Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jayballuk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i am getting what your saying correctly it will do that. cause you havent got a locked diff if one wheel is easier to turn (one wheel up in air other on floor) the wheel on the floor is given NO power what so ever and the wheel sat up in the air gets the lot which is completly useless but thats how it is unless you have a limited slip diff with the clutch system. also why do you think its faulty??
B1N9S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the response mate.  I thought it was faulty because I was just being stoopid !!!  Of course you are right, it didn't seem faulty and they guy I bought it off said it was fine and off a 53k Sammy.  But I have absolutely zero experience of playing with the internals of a diff !!  and am a bit of a noob to this stuff.  So had a bit of a senior moment and panicked !!!

Ah well, we live and learn, I have now fitted it and the half shafts are back on too.  My next question is....  Any tips on the best way to get the oil into the filler on the housing !! It aint exactly at the most optimum angle for the job !!!  LOL ??
jayballuk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a bit late now but...knowing me...get a fairy liquid bottle (other makes of washing up liquid are available) fill it with fluid and squirt as much as you can in there lmao
BearMatthews

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hose and a funnel? Smile
Thats how i filled up my vitara diff...
Bear.
External Roll Cage/Tubular cab and rear end
32" Dumper Tyres on 10" deep dish 8 spoke wheels
Welded (Locked) Rear Diff
Winches front an rear
Rad In Rear
B1N9S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, No Jay, not too late !!!  I still aint done it, as I cant get the damn drain plug out ...Laughing

Plus I have been far too busy (read LAZY  Embarassed !) to go and find a proper 10mm square socket !!!  But I promise it is on the radar, along with the new brake lines, shoes, cylinders, welding, etc , etc !!!!  The list goes on.

I had figured out the funnel and hose pipe idea though all on my own.. I am getting better at this.. Wink
BearMatthews

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

B1N9S
Quote:
I had figured out the funnel and hose pipe idea though all on my own.. I am getting better at this..

Great minds think alike....
External Roll Cage/Tubular cab and rear end
32" Dumper Tyres on 10" deep dish 8 spoke wheels
Welded (Locked) Rear Diff
Winches front an rear
Rad In Rear
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: