Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Suzuki 4x4 Club™
Dedicated to all Suzuki 4x4 Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
suzuki 4x4 club forumsSuzuki 4x4 Forums   CalendarCalendar  Suzuki 4x4 Club ShopClub Shop  Suzuki 4x4 Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
Suzuki 4x4 HomeSuzuki 4x4 Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

ham international multimode II aerial needed!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
little sammy

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:11    Post subject: ham international multimode II aerial needed!!! Reply with quote

Hi,i got a ham international multimode II cb the other day with mic but i need an aerial and havent a clue what i need to get,apparently these units operate in and outside of the normal radio frequencies so a standard one wont do Surprised .

Correct me if i am wrong as ive never had a cb before and no nothing Laughing

Cheers
Liam
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

zocko

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this any use?

ebay item

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
little sammy

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

zocko wrote:
is this any use?

ebay item

dunno but ive emailed the fella anyway to aski him,cheers dude!!
MacSmurf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, HAM still runs under the 27 meters band so a standard 27mhz aerial should be fine. Back in the late 90's early 00's I used to DX alot on HAM radio got a good collection of QSL cards from most parts of the world. Still have the two main radios in fact a President Lincoln and a Superstar 360, both full multimode SSB rigs.
Just the tuning of the antenna maybe needed on 'other' bands, if you plan on using them.

The antenna on your link from ebay won't work as it's AM and HF so won't really work on CB bands or SSB.
Hope that helps Smile
little sammy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacSmurf wrote:
Back in the late 90's early 00's I used to DX alot on HAM radio got a good collection of QSL cards from most parts of the world.

Hope that helps Smile

Mr smurf what the hell did you just say to me Confused  Laughing  Laughing

Thanks for the info though,thats the answer i was looking for so now i can go out and look for one!!!

I doubt though if ill ever use the rig,i only got it cos mymates got one in his sammy,and he doesnt use his Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Ill sniff you out if i ever get it sorted!!

Thanks

Liam
ideal_dog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit lost with all this Cb malarky too.

I fitted mine the other day, this is a complete kit that you supposedly can take out the box, plug in and use.

I went out greenlaning with a bunch of guys that all had CB's. I couldn't hear them and they couldn't hear me.
Then the next mishap was the antenna mag mount that I fitted in the middle of my roof and spent ages carefully zip tying the cable all around the gutter, got ripped off by the 1st tree I went under!

I wasn't too impressed and was all for taking it back to Roadking and throwing at the salesman.

When I got home my wife suggested that I look at the instructions that I had discarded without a second glance when I opened the box, before ripping it all back out of my dashboard.
In big black letters it stated that before this CB can be used in the UK you have to set it to the right frequency by holding down the 'up' button for 2 seconds when you turn it on until the display flashes, then select 'U' (for UK).
I did that and it works perfectly  Embarassed

Also everybody I spoke to before I bought it, told me to buy a stinger antenna so it's not pulled off the roof so easily  Confused . Of course I had no idea what that was. If they had said a springer antenna I might have figured it out.

It's a mine field of options out there!!

----------------------------------------------------------
My neighbors don't like my mud splattered Suzuki. Do I look bothered?
little sammy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideal_dog wrote:
and it works perfectly  Embarassed

Also everybody I spoke to before I bought it, told me to buy a stinger antenna so it's not pulled off the roof so easily  Confused . Of course I had no idea what that was. If they had said a springer antenna I might have figured it out.

ahem,i would have thought the name tag"springer" would have given it away Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

If i ever get round to fitting mine im gonna call myself "The Chutney Ferret" Laughing  Laughing
zocko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

little sammy wrote:
If i ever get round to fitting mine im gonna call myself "The Chutney Ferret" Laughing  Laughing

why does that not surprise me?  Rolling Eyes

the car pulling it out of the mud is a suzuki
little sammy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

zocko wrote:
little sammy wrote:

Laughing  Laughing

What is one,i just got called it many years ago when i was  working as a fork lift driver Confused
ideal_dog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

little sammy wrote:
zocko wrote:
little sammy wrote:

Laughing  Laughing

What is one,i just got called it many years ago when i was  working as a fork lift driver Confused

I guess they person who called you a chutney ferret wasn't a great fan of yours  Laughing
Check this Googled definition  Laughing

ideal_dog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

little sammy wrote:
ideal_dog wrote:
and it works perfectly  Embarassed

ahem,i would have thought the name tag"springer" would have given it away Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Yeah if they had said 'springer' it would have been easier to suss but they said 'stinger', or at least that's what I thought they said.
I figured a 'stinger' was a small pointy antenna for some reason, and so that's what I bought  Embarassed . Picture in this thread Sad

little sammy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideal_dog wrote:
little sammy wrote:
zocko wrote:
little sammy wrote:

Laughing  Laughing

I guess they person who called you a chutney ferret wasn't a great fan of yours  Laughing
Check this Googled definition  Laughing

I knew what is was Alan,i wasnt top of his friends list as i pissed in his bike petrol tank once when i was pissed up Laughing  Laughing
MacSmurf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys no worries about the info. As for the aerial and cb working 'out of the box' it's not that simple... once you setup your aerial on a good mount with a good earth, you need to connect an SWR Meter inline with the radio. So for example, the aerial plug which goes into the CB actually goes to the SWR Meter, and then a small 'patch' lead goes from the meter to the CB radio.

A patch lead is a small length of coax cable with two CB connector plugs at either end (which you need to make up or buy but does usually come with an SWR meter).

Anyhow, what you must do is get the lowest SWR reading, in the case of your friend's not hearing you too well this is the problem. Using an aerial that isn't correctly tuned can blow the CB over time. What I advise you do is borrow an SWR meter from someone or get a CB radio supplier to do it for you, as you need to have it correctly tuned to run. A reading of 1.1 or 1.2 is what you should be aiming for, as this will give you the best outcome for your radio and antenna setup. You will need to adjust the 'whip' of the antenna to adjust the SWR reading, usually done on Channel 1 and channel 40 on the CB until you get the lowest reading possible on both channels Smile

If you would like more help, as I know it's quite alot to take in just give me a shout. I'll be happy to help.

Very Happy
little sammy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacSmurf wrote:
Hey guys no worries about the info. As for the aerial and cb working 'out of the box' it's not that simple... once you setup your aerial on a good mount with a good earth, you need to connect an SWR Meter inline with the radio. So for example, the aerial plug which goes into the CB actually goes to the SWR Meter, and then a small 'patch' lead goes from the meter to the CB radio.

A patch lead is a small length of coax cable with two CB connector plugs at either end (which you need to make up or buy but does usually come with an SWR meter).

Anyhow, what you must do is get the lowest SWR reading, in the case of your friend's not hearing you too well this is the problem. Using an aerial that isn't correctly tuned can blow the CB over time. What I advise you do is borrow an SWR meter from someone or get a CB radio supplier to do it for you, as you need to have it correctly tuned to run. A reading of 1.1 or 1.2 is what you should be aiming for, as this will give you the best outcome for your radio and antenna setup. You will need to adjust the 'whip' of the antenna to adjust the SWR reading, usually done on Channel 1 and channel 40 on the CB until you get the lowest reading possible on both channels Smile

If you would like more help, as I know it's quite alot to take in just give me a shout. I'll be happy to help.

cheers fella i may just do that Very Happy  Very Happy

Very Happy

MacSmurf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give you an idea, I dug out my Radio's today to see if they were still powering up and found an SWR meter and patch lead so here is what you are looking for:

i'll definately be using this once I find a Vitara for myself Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suzuki 4x4 Club™ Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: